• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W, TCS and TPS

flousberg

I have the TCS hooked up but the TPS voltage shows 5.0 on the screen. When I check the voltage accross the vref and tps wires going to the computer it is 1.13. What else is there to look for. I have a RJM harness and there are leads coming off the computer for the TPS, Vref, power, ground, pip for the TCS. This is where I hooked into it.

Also, if the TPS is showing 5.0, will it cause it not to shift to reverse?

OP
OP
flousberg

flousberg

I just looked at the RJM site and I am hooked to sig rtn and not VRef. I assume this is the problem? The thing that screwed me up was i had continuity between sig rtn and vref.

S.Hembree

Loc.
Grand Rapids
Signal return is just the ecm internal ground circuit... you can use a good chassis ground instead if necessary. I have seen ecm's have a poor internal connection/ground and they show 5 volts at the return until an external chassis ground is used.

OP
OP
flousberg

flousberg

Hooked the wire up to the right signal and all is good. I also added 2 quarts of fluid to top it off. Now onto the exhaust and column.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Signal return is just the ecm internal ground circuit... you can use a good chassis ground instead if necessary. I have seen ecm's have a poor internal connection/ground and they show 5 volts at the return until an external chassis ground is used.

Signal returns are not necessarily grounded to a chassis ground. Chassis grounds tend to be electrically noisey with motors and switches which cause spikes.