• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w tranny cooler questions

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I am about to run my 4r70w cooler lines and wonder if most out there using this transmission are using a separate cooler? I have the Champion aluminum radiator with tranny cooler but not sure if I should get an auxiliary cooler? Also, is it OK to use steel braided line instead of hardline between the radiator and transmission? I live in Las Vegas so this will see some higher temperatures. Thanks in advance.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I played around when I had mine. I ended up with a mid sized stacked plate then into the radiator. Without the radiator do a BIG stacked plate cooler. The radiator part is nice because the water is a great heat sink to take that flash heat the convertor puts out when you load it (off the line acceleration).

If the braided stainless is rated for ATF, it will work. But the steel lines will cool better. The braided acts as an insulator. The steel line sheds heat, for years that was all ford used for a power steering cooler, about 3 loops of plain steel tubing, it is part of the cooling package.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I use a medium sized stacked plate style aux cooler along with the cooler in the stock radiator.

We went wheelin' in some pretty hot weather this year and the hottest it got was 200.

Normally runs around 175 around town.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I used a cooler that mounted in front of my radiator. Works well. Steel lines up to the core support, then rubber lines to make the tight bends...

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I already have a BIG condenser for my AC in front of the radiator. I didn't want to push my luck by taking up too much airflow from my radiator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 127

67 Halfcab

<hijack on> What front bumper is that? Do you have a body lift? I really like the way the front end of your Bronco looks. < hijack off>

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I'm running the B&M 70297 mounted under the hood on the front end of the driver-side fender well. I cut holes to facilitate air flow. Worked great with a C4. Haven't had the 4R70W hot enough to engage it yet. I've seen these mounted under the passenger seat and other locations under the body. I do not know how this cooler compares to any other. It has worked great for me.

http://www.jegs.com/i/B&M/130/70297...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIy06pGT8rkCFYl_Qgod8VcAkw

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=B&M 70297

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks. It's a Protofab bumper w/1" BL.

I will most likely need to mount the cooler under the passenger seat. No core support in the engine compartment to use.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used a plate cooler from a Chevy duelly out of a junk yard. 14 bucks. Made by the same company that ford uses but it was bigger and the inlet tube sizes were bigger also. I just made sure i cleaned all the old fluid out.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Junkyards are hit and miss around here. The cooler above was rated at 30,000GVW. I would imagine that should be fine for my bronco.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I used a plate cooler from a Chevy duelly out of a junk yard. 14 bucks. Made by the same company that ford uses but it was bigger and the inlet tube sizes were bigger also. I just made sure i cleaned all the old fluid out.

Yes, that is a Long Mfg. stacked plate cooler you have. Long Mfg. pretty much makes all the OEM coolers. Any 1 ton truck, van, etc will have a more than adequate cooler to mount in front of the radiator on a Bronco. If you want to remote mount it with a fan, that is another story. I have a Long on mine with the condensor behind it & the radiator behind that. I have not fired up the A/C yet so I will still have to wait and see if the heat load is too great with all 3 up front relying on drive air.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I went ahead and ordered the trans cooler from Summit. I hope it's the right one. I'll post some pics when I get it installed.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I have the Derale. Works great.

6ebuqeze.jpg

6y9ubuze.jpg

ysyjy3e4.jpg

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
What size steel lines should I be running from the trans to the radiator? Also, is it better to run the hot fluid to the radiator first then the aux cooler or the other way around ? Thanks.

P.S. Airbur that looks great. I will probably mount mine in the same place.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
What size steel lines should I be running from the trans to the radiator? Also, is it better to run the hot fluid to the radiator first then the aux cooler or the other way around ? Thanks.

P.S. Airbur that looks great. I will probably mount mine in the same place.

I wouldn't run it through the radiator at all. You'll only decrease it's engine cooling capacity. I used -6AN braided stainless.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Ok. I thought I had read earlier to run it through both. Never thought about decreasing the radiator efficiency.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Aux then rad. 5/16" is adequate. I run 3/8".

I stopped running to rad b/c it couldn't handle 351 and trans; had heat issues. Ron davis aluminum rad too.

Now i run aux in front of radiator and trans sits around 175 on road and 200 off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-S3 using Tapatalk 2 on CyanogenMod

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you have a good sized oil to air cooler you should still be able to run through the radiator. That water makes a great heat sink for that flash heat spikes that the oil to air might miss due to low airflow or sudden changes. But normal operation the oil to air should cool enough that it isn't putting heat into the radiator.

Even today's new trucks are this way. Big oil to air cooler backed by a nice redundant oil to water.