• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4wd....NOT

G

:mad: Ok I bought a 74 Bronco and after waiting fo rPennsylvania to send me the title (7weeks) I regestered and titled it in New Jersey. Well it snowed today, about a foot, and I wanted to drive it. So I fire it up put it in 4wd and promtly get stuck in my back yard (where the trucks been parked). WTF. the front wheels aren't getting any power but 4wh/4wl work, at least to the back wheels. Any ideas??? The driveshaft is still there, could it be the hubs??? HELP :-U

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Some basic things to look at:
  • Are you sure the transfer case is engaged? If you have the J shift T case (like me) it can be difficult to get in gear.
  • Are the hubs locked in?
  • Do the hubs work?
<br><br>Those are the easiest and cheapest to check - from there it can get fun! Good luck!

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I second what Waverous just said. If it's a J shifter, you need to move that lever to the left and forward from 2wd to 4 low. When you get it in 4 low the shifter will be very far forward compaired to the 2wd position. Sometimes it helps to move the bronco forward and back a few times. Make sure those hubs are all the way locked in, there will be a stamped locked position on the them, try turning them back and forth from free to locked a few times too.<br><br>Good Luck !

bpassmore

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Houston, TX
Ive had situations in cold weather when the hubs got so cold the grease would not let the hub engage.<br>You might want to repack them. - This has happend to me and a few friends of mine too...<br><br>Good luck - hope all goes well for you

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I used to grease my hubs, but had the same problem. Now I just use a very light coating of motor oil and they work much better.

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
[quote author=astark link=board=5;threadid=12027;start=0#88812 date=1039137040]<br>I used to grease my hubs, but had the same problem. Now I just use a very light coating of motor oil and they work much better.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I almost had to walk out about 20 miles in snow when that happened to me. <br><br>The hubs will move to the lock position, but the spring can't overcome the thick grease.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
Like others have eluded to I think you have a Hub issue.<br><br>I'd double check that the T-case is fully engaged since that's a quick easy check then move on and investigate the hubs to make sure they are working properly.

Bronconut

I would first get under the Bronco after you have the hubs locked in and x-fer case in 2wd then try to turn the front drive shaft. You should then be able to tell if the hubs are locked. If they are not you should be able to see the axle shafts turning. If they are the driveshaft should not turn. If that works then unlock the hubs and put x-fer in 4wd (or what you think is 4wd) and try to turn the drive shaft again, it should not turn. Try these they should narrow things down for you..<br>Sorry so long!

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=tweeet66 link=board=5;threadid=12027;start=0#88796 date=1039135088]<br> the front wheels aren't getting any power but 4wh/4wl work, at least to the back wheels. Any ideas??? The driveshaft is still there, could it be the hubs??? HELP :-U<br>[/quote]<br><br>Did you look to see if the front driveshaft is turning?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=12027;start=0#88833 date=1039141352]<br>[quote author=tweeet66 link=board=5;threadid=12027;start=0#88796 date=1039135088]<br> the front wheels aren't getting any power but 4wh/4wl work, at least to the back wheels. Any ideas??? The driveshaft is still there, could it be the hubs??? HELP :-U<br>[/quote]<br><br>Did you look to see if the front driveshaft is turning?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Did you look to see if you have a driveshaft?<br><br>After that have someone help you and see if the U-joints at the front knuckles are turning. The one that is spinning is the one with the hub problem. If neither spin, and the drivshaft spins, then the diff bought it

66horse

Bronco Guru
[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=12027;start=0#88833 date=1039141352]
[quote author=tweeet66 link=board=5;threadid=12027;start=0#88796 date=1039135088]
the front wheels aren't getting any power but 4wh/4wl work, at least to the back wheels. Any ideas??? The driveshaft is still there, could it be the hubs??? HELP :-U
[/quote]

Did you look to see if the front driveshaft is turning?
[/quote]

Ya Jeepster that is what I was thinking. that is the easiest way to narrow down where the issue is. If you have it in 4h or 4L, the front driveshaft should turn. If it is then it is your hubs or diff or axles. If it is not turning its in the TCase/Tcase shifter.

I will say that I have had the problem before of locking the hubs but they dont engage. If you find it is in front it is pretty easy to quickly take apart the hubs and make sure they are working. My problem was too much grease in them. Grease is a good thing for things that move a lot. But the locking mechanism hardlky ever moves. I like the light coat of oil idea.

OP
OP
G

:p Yeah the driveshaft is there, if it's turning I don't know. Could I put it on a lift, running and engage it to find out? I have access to one for the weekend. I know its going into 4wh/4wl as the shifter moves easily and i can feel it engage in both positions. I hope its the hubs since I'm putting on a F150 spindle and disks w/ new hubs ($150 -every things new- gotta love friends in junkyards). ;D I'll try everything this weekend. Thanks

66horse

Bronco Guru
[quote author=tweet66 link=board=5;threadid=12027;start=0#89032 date=1039197190]<br> :p Yeah the driveshaft is there, if it's turning I don't know. Could I put it on a lift, running and engage it to find out? I have access to one for the weekend. I know its going into 4wh/4wl as the shifter moves easily and i can feel it engage in both positions. I hope its the hubs since I'm putting on a F150 spindle and disks w/ new hubs ($150 -every things new- gotta love friends in junkyards). ;D I'll try everything this weekend. Thanks<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Just get a friend to look under there while you try to drive it. Its stuck right? Make him look in from the side and see if it spins.

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
Look at bronconuts post, he gave a very good description of how you can do it by yourself without a lift. Also if the drive shaft turns and the axle shafts don't, you've got differential problems.<br><br>Brian