• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4WD Shifter is tough to move

mjsinnott

Hello all. New to the forum and already need assistance! I have a 72 Bronco. I am having some issues with the 4WD shifter. It is almost impossible to get the transfer case out of 4WD, to the point where the shrift arm will not move. I have replaced the transfer case oil, but that wasn't it. I suspect it is the linkage from the shift arm. Has anyone else run into a similar issue? If so how did you fix it? How do you get to that linkage? Thanks again for any assistance. Matt

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I suspect it is normal operation. Read up on the original manual on it http://www.mustangtek.com/Library6/ServiceHandbook4000-8.html (page 11).

The usual technique is to drive in a straight line while putting mild pressure on the shifter. IF that doesn't do it, a little blip of the throttle can unload the gears for a moment to make the shift. Throttle blip with pressure on the shifter. OR reverse with pressure on the shifter. Automatics often can just b shifted to reverse and that is enough to release the pressure on the gears.

If it is really bad someone may have changed out gears in only one axle. The junkyard it fits repair. Read the tech article on the left of this page for checking your gear ratio. Do it to both front and rear driveshafts, key for this one is to lock in the front hubs but leave the transfer case in 2WD. You are looking for a large difference in rotation that would be binding the transfer case. you don't want to find 4.11 in one axle and 3.50 in the other.

RustBeltRefugee

Loc.
Santa Clarita
The Dana 20 is notoriously hard to shift especially if the linkage is worn. You could put in a twin stick. One of the top modifications and it is much easier to shift. I put in the JB Fab shifter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
M

mjsinnott

Just took it out for a quick spin. The pressure on the shifter while driver forward was the key. It still doesn't shift on every attempt but it is much better. The shifter does have a lot of play in it, side to side, not forward and aft. Not the smoothest operation but now not stuck in 4WD when I don't need to be. Thanks again for the advice. That is a nice looking shifter RustBelter!

BroncoBoom

Loc.
Grass Valley
Yes as stated above the Dana 20 can have a mind of its own .
I have always had good luck with reverse then neutral then then
shifting back to 2WD.
Not really sure why just seems to work well on my rig in that order .
That is until someone drops of an atlas on my front porch .

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I am having to learn how to shift mine after 40 years of D20s and manual transmissions I switched to an auto and I have all sorts of trouble shifting it.

Never had an issue at all when I could feather the clutch a little. :)

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Worn or bent linkage and worn bushings and loose mounting bolts will obviously make shifting harder . If yours has any of those issues fix em.
That being said ;
"Brand New" - as in the day they left the factory - shifting in and out of 4 wheel drive took a technique. Shifting From 4 hi wasn't as bad as from 4 lo. The gears are square cut and will bind due to the design of these older rigs.
Most of my EBs have responded well to " Rocking back and Forth " while firmly but not overly hard pulling on the shift lever . Works best when on semi level ground so there's minimal pressure /force on the gears . It also helps if you haven't just driven on a hard surface which tends to exaggerate things a little more.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Always be certain when shifting the T-case that your Bronco is either on level ground or the front end is pointed downhill. This removes any bind on the driveline.

Bulletman

With mine, which has a C4 I put a bit of pressure on the transfer case shifter and with the other hand put shift to drive and let the bronco start to move and as I shift the transmission to neutral I simultaneously shift the transfer case to the desired position