• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4wd ZF from 1990 F250

nkhd1

Found a 5spd. It is a ZF. If I get a chance to go look at it - what should I inspect and expect?
I have pics and it has the diamond pattern on the side and he has the shifters. He said he thnks the slave cylinder is bad. No idea of the miles. Still has transfer case attached.
Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
make sure the engine is/was a 351W and not a 460 or diesel. Really little you can actually check to be 100% sure its fine unless you pull it apart. but shift it into each gear and make sure it turns freely other than that i guess you could pull the drain plug and check the fluid for metal. Bad slave cylinder is no big deal best to replace with a new one anyhow. Trasfer case wont fit in a bronco but you could try and resell it.

OP
OP
N

nkhd1

Thanks Broncnaz.
Would the nametag have anything which would confirm it matches up to a windsor pattern?
The guy is selling a gas engine also - I am assuming they were connected. I haven't asked.

robinsoncc

Steer clear of that it is a hassle that will only cause you grief. You should just throw a NP 435 4speed.

OP
OP
N

nkhd1

"Steer clear of that it is a hassle that will only cause you grief. You should just throw a NP 435 4speed."

Is the ZF that much hassle? I am mighty new to the Bronco thing (but always looking for the next fix). How much trouble am I getting into?

Yeah there is an adapter that is kindof pricey but looks like the adapter kit(BCBroncos) should make it much easier.
For the price for the tranny and I get an overdrive I can't go too wrong even if I didn't install and sold it outright.

Last edited:

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
The key is to make sure it was behind a SMALL BLOCK. You canot use the big block or diesel zf's. The ZF has a cast in bellhousing and has to be the correct pattern.

The kit with the hyd. clutch, cross member and t-case adapter is what you will need to install.

stokers

Loc.
Lexington, KY
My ZF wasn't too tuff to install. But things you'll need to consider are at least a 1 inch body lift (that's what I used) since the ZF is taller, cross member from BC Bronco and my front drive shaft was too short so I replaced it. Also, you might consider finding a NP205 transfer case instead of buying an adapter. NP 205 will bolt right up to the ZF (will need to cut a notch in the ZF) and the NP205 is stronger and can be found for $75-$100. I really like my set up.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Another to think about when swapping is axle gearing you'll probably need to regear to use the OD. I've go a ZF sitting in my shed I picked up for $200 have yet to install because I have gotten around to regearing.
Also you have to convert to hydraulic clutch not hard but just another thing you have to do.

hmh800

I used the whole BC kit, and aside from not using their t-case shifter bracket I'm happy with the setup. Haven't had a chance to use the OD yet (still finishing up the build), but I did use the same trans in a CJ that I had and it was sweet. The Bronco I'm building actually had a 435 in it when I bought it, and at times I wondered why I went to all the trouble and $$ to swap to the 5 speed, but the shorter, lighter shifts and hyd clutch are worth it to me.

OP
OP
N

nkhd1

Bronconaz,
Why is regearing the rear end necessary to use the OD? or is it you just don't get as much out of it with a lower rear gear?
I just rebuilt the rear end and went with 4:11s. Would this gear work? Are you talking go higher like a 3.7 or 3.5 gear?

Also what years of what models do you find the NP205?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well it kinda depends on tire size and your engine but say your running 33in tires then OD would be useable and at speeds under 65 mph you may find you have to shift out of OD. Lots of people like about 4.56 gears with OD and 33in tires.

The NP205 is found in most 70's fords F150-250's and big broncos. Just make sure you know what your looking for as the NP203 was also used in them years and is a chain drive setup not what your looking for.

OP
OP
N

nkhd1

There is no adapter between the ZF and the transfer case? Bolts straight on?
I found one and fixing to purchase - just want to make sure. If there is an adapter where do i get it?
thanks again

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you get the 4wd version it has the adapter built in. So then all you need is a NP205 or another adapter to use the D20

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That Tcase is fine nothing else needed there just make sure you get the 4wd ZF and your fine.