• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 Box fittings by Earls

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Might have something to do with the constant but hard to feel sometimes, vibrations associated with a hydraulic system.
Between the tensions put on the hoses not only from the fluid pressure, but from being under the hood in general and usually pushing up against somethingorother and having those things push back, the heat and cooling, and the high-frequency vibrations, the aluminum might not stand up over the long haul.

Definitely...

t120r

Nothing against aluminum fitting except been told by hydro guys to use steel fittings on high pressure ps system. Return side is fine. Now i’d assume the 1/2” is high pressure side. I could be wrong and someone will correct me.

Eugene
Those guys have no clue then. Aluminum fittings are routinely used on 3000psi hydraulic systems.

OP
OP
D

davebb

Those guys have no clue then. Aluminum fittings are routinely used on 3000psi hydraulic systems.
Interesting! Just curious, What industry does this? I've been in heavy equipment repair for a long time and don't recall seeing them very often.

t120r

Interesting! Just curious, What industry does this? I've been in heavy equipment repair for a long time and don't recall seeing them very often.
Aerospace. I work for an airline in Canada. You'll see aluminum fittings used in high pressure systems all the time. That being said, we use solid tubing and rarely see a flex hose with aluminum fittings.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I won't use aluminum adapters fittings in brakes or PS systems, only steel. I'm sure that aluminum adapters will take the operating pressure, but that is only a small part of the whole picture that these two systems operate within.

Using adapters rather than unique hose ends means that future changes and field repairs are easier. Special hose ends aren't always easy to find, but an AN hose end is, and so are most adapter fittings.