• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 steering box build

408Bronco

Loc.
Midwest
Just got both my boxes for a 4x4x2 steering box build. The main one came off a 78 Bronco and the doner came off a 93 Explorer. I'm mainly looking for advice on the build, what to look for, any problems anyone else had building, or any other input that would be helpfull.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Do it over a drip pan of some kind. No matter how many times you cycle the box to get the fluid out, at the most inopportune time you'll have a dribble (or a gusher) out of one of the boxes.

Also, when you re-assemble the box, it will probably be very difficult to turn. You'll need to adjust the preload on the gears with the adjusting screw on top. Even if the '78 box turned freely by hand before taking it apart, introducing parts from the other box always seems to bind it up.

I'm assuming you have read the tech article from West Coast Broncos:

http://wcb4x4.com/tech/diyrockcrawler.shtml

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
use an old or new cookie pan, worked great, cost a few bucks from Bashes

OP
OP
408Bronco

408Bronco

Loc.
Midwest
Thanks guys, yep I have read it, and will be rereading it several times just to make sure.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I'm mechanically challenged and figured it out. Just be sure to center it first and when you remove the donor worm drive, be sure to not let it spin down or the bearing will fall out. It really is as simple as they make it out to be. Pull the 4x4 worm drive...install the 4x2 worm drive. Good time to clean it up and paint it before installing it. The hardest thing for me was getting the HP hoses to fit the Saginaw pump I used. Good luck!

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
you might need to adjust the sector shaft when you put it all back together. on the few that i've done, they ended up being too tight. it got hard to turn the input shaft as the sector neared the center of it's travel. that is about it. they are easy to work on. just don't let the worm assembly disassemble itself...