• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 steering gear question

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
so i dry fit some more parts yesterday including steering column and shaft. I'm only getting just under two turns "lock to lock" out of the box and think it should be 4.

i thought i was careful when i put it together to make sure everthing was centered.

thoughts?

thx

Hank

Donor box is new 78 F150, worm gear came out of mid 80s f150 IIRC.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Do you have a steering stabilizer that's hampering your movement or old school double shock mounts welded to the front of the C Bushing Caps ?

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
no steering damper installed yet. the truck is up on jack stand. now im wondering if the rims or knuckles are hitting and i cant see that from the seat. that would be an easy fix...%)

i will check tomorrow and report results

Hank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Drop the drag link off the pitman arm and recheck. That way you can rule out if it is in the steering box or somewhere else in the system

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2 what Broncobowsher said. This will allow you to center the wheel, sector shaft and all when doing the final assbly

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Check your gear mesh. If the adjuster on the top is too tight, the box won't turn past the center point.

I've put together at least 40 4x4x2 boxes over the years and it's amazing how two relatively loose free turning boxes can be combined and have the gear mesh so tight in the center you have to disassemble in order to remove the bind.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will take drag link off and try again and report results. I know there is a metric crap ton of 4x4x2 knowledge here so it will be worked out. Will feel like total ass if it’s just the jack stands....

Hank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I will take drag link off and try again and report results. I know there is a metric crap ton of 4x4x2 knowledge here so it will be worked out. Will feel like total ass if it’s just the jack stands....

Hank

That wouldn't be too bad. There have been many transmissions that were rebuilt because the transfer case got bumped into neutral. Tires hitting jack stands would be a good thing to find.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So it’s not the jackstands. I disconnected drag link and turned. At first it was still just two turns. I applied a little more elbow torque and it continues two more turns. It’s tight about in the middle of the arc I would say.

What I do to smooth it out? Run it? Adjust it? This is all without power steering yet btw

Hank

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Sounds like it might need a little adjusting. When they are adjusted correctly there is a bit of a tightness in the middle of the arc. Try to adjust the screw a little. Ken

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First post has details. I don’t recall if worm gear box was new or not

Hank

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like it might need a little adjusting. When they are adjusted correctly there is a bit of a tightness in the middle of the arc. Try to adjust the screw a little. Ken

Back it out?

Hank

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the new F150 box a new Ford box? Is it a rebuilt Ford box? Or is it a New Chinese replacement box?

Mark

When I said new I meant not out of a junkyard. It has all the casting marks on it like a ford box would have. I got it from one of the internet auto parts places like four years ago I think so I would guess reman’d ford box.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Back it out?

Hank

Yes I would loosen it a bit until the turning resistance on the input shaft is minimal. I usually tighten the screw while turning the input shaft back and forth fully with my fingers until I feel resistance in the middle of the arc. This is with nothing hooked up to the shafts. That is usually a good starting point.
Ken

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
When I said new I meant not out of a junkyard. It has all the casting marks on it like a ford box would have. I got it from one of the internet auto parts places like four years ago I think so I would guess reman’d ford box.

Not necessarily true, some of the Chinese stuff is better described as a forgery than a copy.