• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 & AOD - any issues cooling trans with external cooler

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
Just installed the transmission, put on about 25 miles, no problems shifts nice. I just ordered a trans oil temp guage so I have an idea on the temp. Ihave an external trans oil cooler mounted on the battery box side, in front of the radiator. I am using the original (re-cored) 68 radiator with reversed inlet an outlet locations.
It's a 91 5.0 runs great and the radiator keeps the temp very consistant around 180.

Has anyone used only a external transmission cooler to keep the AOD cool??

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I run a derrale external cooler with an AOD, and it only runs 'warm' on the trail if I lug it, and it get's hot on big hills on the freeway, otherwise it's great.

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
I have a 351W SEFI with a AOD, I run 2 external coolers, one small one in front of the radiator, and one under the radiator. I don't run it through the radiator. The only time it gets above 180 is when I am lugging up big hills or when wheeling for a long time (got in the 200's when wheeling at Big Bear) . I am going to put a puller fan on it with a thermostat that will kick it on at 180 on the one under the radiator which should help with airflow, especially when wheeling.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Frank drove his for a few years with only the radiator cooler & no problems. When we changed to the Griffin Aluminum ~1.5 years ago, we went to a universal external, and still no problems.

Is he using the external cooler only?

OP
OP
K

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
All post are a big help,so it looks like I'm ok with just the external cooler, just watch the gauge when working it hard,thanks

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Always run an external cooler with an automatic, I ran the AOD behind my 575hp 393 with no issues, use a bar and plate style cooler over a finned cooler.

OP
OP
K

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
For you guys running the aod, I only have run mine for 20 miles and I may be regretting not changing the gear ratio. I'm running 410,comments

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
351W, EFI - Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, - the cam is a e-1059P (not sure exactly what it is, but thats the # I got from the builder. Int Lift .424, Exh Lift .445, IVO 8.0, EVO 37.0, IVC 22.0, EVC 13.0, Intake Duration 210, Exhaust Duration 230.00.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
33's @ 2100 rpm 72 mph I like the overdrive just seems a bit sluggish going up a big hill
Are you sure the TV is adjusted correctly? Frank also has 4.10s & 33s, plus the weight of all the sound-deadening & thermal insulation in a full top, and his is still pretty peppy. He says he barely notices his big Aluminum boat. Stock '88 F150 5.0L & cam, with car intake.