• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 EFI COnversion Project Questions

Little Thad

Loc.
Georgia
Well.....after getting some initial guidance from reading a lot on this board, I have officially started my project. My starting materials are a rust free 1966, 6 cylinder bronco, and, a crate rebuilt 1998 year model 5.0 from a Mercury Mountaineer that had 30,000 miles on before a big rear end crash. With the engine, I get the R470W tranny and all of the accessories including a radiator. My other major component is to upgrade both axles to Dana 44 to get the better gear ratios plus disk brakes up front.

A few starter questions:
1. There has been a lot of discussion about switching out the wiring/etc. from later Mustangs on to the Explorer engines. Has anyone done a 1998 5.0 and what is recommended for this year model to simplify the install?
2. Assuming that I get a Bauman controller for the transmission, what kit should I get to attach the tranny to the 6 cyl transfer case (or do I need a different case?)
3. The stock radiator is in good condition. Can I reuse it or is it more trouble than it is worth from a fabrication perspective.

Thanks for the initial guidance. This is my first Bronco build.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Well.....after getting some initial guidance from reading a lot on this board, I have officially started my project. My starting materials are a rust free 1966, 6 cylinder bronco, and, a crate rebuilt 1998 year model 5.0 from a Mercury Mountaineer that had 30,000 miles on before a big rear end crash. With the engine, I get the R470W tranny and all of the accessories including a radiator. My other major component is to upgrade both axles to Dana 44 to get the better gear ratios plus disk brakes up front.

A few starter questions:
1. There has been a lot of discussion about switching out the wiring/etc. from later Mustangs on to the Explorer engines. Has anyone done a 1998 5.0 and what is recommended for this year model to simplify the install?
2. Assuming that I get a Bauman controller for the transmission, what kit should I get to attach the tranny to the 6 cyl transfer case (or do I need a different case?)
3. The stock radiator is in good condition. Can I reuse it or is it more trouble than it is worth from a fabrication perspective.

Thanks for the initial guidance. This is my first Bronco build.

1998 Explorer 5.0 and 4r70W is a good combination, I just did one on my 68.

Garry re-flashed the ECU which controls the engine and Tranny, so no need for the the Bauman. But you will need all of the donor Explorer engine harness. Garry removes the unnecessary wiring and labels every hook up and plug for you.
FYI... last time I spoke with him he was booked out until January....
4R70W 2whl drive or 4whl drive. Advanced adapters makes kits for both.
You have to modify the trans cross member like a AOD or buy one done from TBP. It extends the tranny back about 1.5 inches. 4X shifter moves back too.
Driveshaft mods needed
Figure out where you are going to mount the ECU.
I used the stock Rad with a cross over pipe sold by WH, you cut up the lower factory rad hose.
I used the Ron Morris alum shroud from WH, and modified its mounting since I have a 1 inch body lift.

I could go on and on... There is a lot of Fab work to do. You need to have some skills or know someone who does.

Attachments

• DSCN2018.jpg
    DSCN2018.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN2020.jpg
    DSCN2020.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
1998 Explorer 5.0 and 4r70W is a good combination, I just did one on my 68.

Garry re-flashed the ECU which controls the engine and Tranny, so no need for the the Bauman. But you will need all of the donor Explorer engine harness. Garry removes the unnecessary wiring and labels every hook up and plug for you.
FYI... last time I spoke with him he was booked out until January....
4R70W 2whl drive or 4whl drive. Advanced adapters makes kits for both.
You have to modify the trans cross member like a AOD or buy one done from TBP. It extends the tranny back about 1.5 inches. 4X shifter moves back too.
Driveshaft mods needed
Figure out where you are going to mount the ECU.
I used the stock Rad with a cross over pipe sold by WH, you cut up the lower factory rad hose.
I used the Ron Morris alum shroud from WH, and modified its mounting since I have a 1 inch body lift.

I could go on and on... There is a lot of Fab work to do. You need to have some skills or know someone who does.

I did this swap minus the 4R70w. I'd say everything above is spot on. 2" body lift really helps under the hood. I still had to lower the P.S. reservoir a bit, and the coil packs rub (just barely) on the hood brace. Mine's been in almost a year now, and I drive it everyday. It's been great, no issues at all.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_8432.jpg
    IMG_8432.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8429.jpg
    IMG_8429.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8430.jpg
    IMG_8430.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
L

Little Thad

Loc.
Georgia
Thank you

This is extremely helpful to get me started. The fab side of things is not an issue. Good to go on that. I just want it to be as clean as possible. Picking up on the advice of one of the more seasoned members, I am trying to acquire all of the major parts before starting.