• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Explorer fuel rails with TFI distributor

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm trying to install Explorer 5.0 fuel rails on my '91 5.0 that still uses the TFI distributor. I'm running into a problem where the driver's side rail makes contact with the back of the distributor body, which doesn't allow the tabs on the rail to line up with the attachment points on the manifold. I could probably slot the rail holes a bit but I'm afraid the misalignment of the rail to the manifold could cause problems/leaks with the injectors/seals.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, were you able to resolve it?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Remote TFI distributor? They are shorter than the old school distributor mounted TFI version. Gave me interference issues as well.
What I did was use a distributor mounted TFI distributor and bypass the built in TFI. Did a pass through for the remote TFI module. This gave me the clearance needed for the fuel rail and kept the remote mount TFI, all with off the shelf parts (any modifications could be done in a parking lot).

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It's the stock one with the TFI mounted on the body. It's hitting the body of the distributor on the side opposite where the TFI module mounts.

Todd Z.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Return or return less style? I’m running return style EFI and ended up using rails from a 5.0 Bronco on mine. I have a 351W block though.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Return or return less style? I’m running return style EFI and ended up using rails from a 5.0 Bronco on mine. I have a 351W block though.
Return style. The 5.0 Bronco ones come out the back of the engine, right?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yep. That’s why I use them.
What intake are you running? It looks like the Bronco rails have the fuel pressure regulator on the driver's side (as well as the Schrader valve up front). That might not clear an Explorer upper? Are you running that or something similar in the factory orientation?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I run a ported Lightning lower with a tubular GT40 upper. TB on the passenger side. Upon further examination of my build list, I guess I’m actually running 96-98 Exploder rails that I modified to fit the 351W setup. Sorry about that lol.
I’m also running an EDIS setup with the coil packs on the firewall, but the rails did clear the TFI dizzy when I still had one. Probably due to the 351W being wider.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I run a ported Lightning lower with a tubular GT40 upper. TB on the passenger side. Upon further examination of my build list, I guess I’m actually running 96-98 Exploder rails that I modified to fit the 351W setup. Sorry about that lol.
I’m also running an EDIS setup with the coil packs on the firewall, but the rails did clear the TFI dizzy when I still had one. Probably due to the 351W being wider.
Thanks for the clarification! And yes, I think the rail would fit if I had a 351W.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It's the stock one with the TFI mounted on the body. It's hitting the body of the distributor on the side opposite where the TFI module mounts.

Todd Z.
Never mind. And I was running a returnless style fuel rail. Had a remote regulator firewall mounted.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
WHAT about Mustang fuel rail? that's what I'm running on 5.8 anyway (kind of hard to see...)
00-NfmewEdBZpaPKHQAw15duo37JUqllZL3YGr4_whos6Zurv0VtqWeuuogCVa_BLmDaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA.jpg

Attachments

• 00-NfmewEdBZpaPKHQAw15duo37JUqllZL3YGr4_whos6arW7qtkNKrZflVZ7tw92f5qCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw.jpg
    00-NfmewEdBZpaPKHQAw15duo37JUqllZL3YGr4_whos6arW7qtkNKrZflVZ7tw92f5qCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
WHAT about Mustang fuel rail? that's what I'm running on 5.8 anyway (kind of hard to see...)
View attachment 931204
It's had the Mustang fuel rail on there since I installed the engine back in '97 :). I was hoping to update it a little bit and route the lines out the back and move them to the driver's side framerail. I think I'll be putting the Mustang rail back there for the time being. I'll eventually be updating to EDIS and then I can install the rails at that time.

Todd Z.