• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 explorer with GT40P heads clearance issues

justorange72

I am in the middle of frame off rebuild on my 72. We just installed the explorer 5.0 motor onto the frame with the new ford racing headers from Summit racing.
The Passenger side header is so close the frame we are not sure we can make the
bend without hitting the frame. I have looked around for answers but I can't seem to find any tech advice about this. We have make a custom transmission cross member and have raised the Tranny so it sits about 1 inch higher than the stock height. This helped by giving us about 1/2" more clearance for the header but still not enough to make bend without forcing the parts together.
Has anyone lifted the motor?

We have new 2.5 inch lift and trying not to add a body lift to the truck.

I am sure I am not the first with this issue. What have other done to get around this.
Thank you in advance.

JGZ

Bronco Hut has headers made for the P heads.Shouldn't have to lift the motor.Call Mellisa and she can hook u up.303-663-1455

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
It will help if you use some type of Extreme motor mount. That will lift the motor about another 3/4" from the frame. You'll still need a tight bend right off the collector, but a decent exhaust guy can do it. The Ford Racing shorties fit great on the motor, they're just not meant for the bronco, but they are very close.

u10072 used them. here's his thread.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232102

Mark

OP
OP
J

justorange72

Thank you all very much. I am planning on working on this tomorrow. I will let you know how we solved this issue.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I have the Ford Racing Headers on mine. I cut the collector off, changed the angle of the tubes and then had the collector welded back on. It was a PITA to say the least. If there is a header out there that fits use it.

Sun_and_Steel77

Loc.
Northern BC, Canada
BCBroncos headers work great with my P-heads and their 2 into 1 exhaust is easy to work with as well. Might have to just cut your losses with your current summit headers.

IMG_9442.jpg

Biohazard

Loc.
Central Arkansas
Yes the stock explorer manifolds work, they are just restrictive and the passenger side manifold is a weak unit prone to leaks, from my experience.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I am doing this and wondering if the stock 5.0 explorer exhaust manifolds work????

Yes they work, that's what I'm running. I'm using a C4 trans, if you're running a manual, the driver's side manifold would probably interfere with mechanical clutch linkage.
As for restrictive, they certainly look restrictive, but I'm running a stock Explorer 5.0. Headers won't make that huge of a difference, not for me.

Mark

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Thanks guys.
I am happy with the way the explorer runs now. So I will keep them if they work.
I have the 4rw but was planning on the ZF I have. No mechanical linkage. It's hydraulic. Internal hydraulic.