• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 pinging

broncaholic

The bronco was pinging yesterday on flat land with my 2 boys in the back. I was cruising at around 70 mph and got on it to pass someone. Ambient temp was about 102, engine temp about 180 and nothing else to note. Running a C-4 with 3.50 gears. Any thoughts? Timing was checked ok.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Did you delete the EGR? EGR gasses are known to cool a combustion chamber and reduce detonation.

Aftermarket MAF? Could be showing less are then really flowing and a lean condition.

You said you checked timing, what is it set at?

Any parts on the engine that are not stock?

OP
OP
B

broncaholic

Did you delete the EGR? EGR gasses are known to cool a combustion chamber and reduce detonation.

Aftermarket MAF? Could be showing less are then really flowing and a lean condition.
Stock MAF.

You said you checked timing, what is it set at?
12 deg BTDC.

Any parts on the engine that are not stock?
1. Was a Mass Air converted with a stock MAF.
2. Deleted when I installed the 5.0. Not running any smog.
3. 12 deg BTDC
4. Edelbrock cam that I am thinking of taking out and replacing with the stock cam. I am not real happy about the performance.

Thanks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1 fine
2 that has been known to cause some ping, but usually at cruise and not power
3 try 10°
4 different valve timing may be causing higher then expected cylinder pressures for the computer.