• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0l EFI wiring drivetrain swap updated

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
what if i had a 91 f150 sitting here, if i wanted to swap the engine trans and tcase would stock drive shafts work or would they be the wrong length?

what is th best harness to get when switching to a efi? Im kind of confused from all the reading and was wondering what every one else used or is going to use

Last edited:

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I personally think the best way to go is the RJM harness that Ryan builds. I had mine wired in just a few hours and it runs like a champ.

Ben

green77bronco

Loc.
SAn Antonio,TX
I used the stock 5.0 harness for a few years, but always had little demons pop up. Then I bought the RJM harness and it was plug and play, very happy with it. If I had any kind of wiring skills I would of made my own, just to save the coin.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
so for cheap go with a 90 and up 5o harness, and fix what needs to be done on it

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
what if i had a 91 f150 sitting here, if i wanted to swap the engine trans and tcase would stock drive shafts work or would they be the wrong length?

bronco italiano

Bronco Guru
RJM is the only way to go. Absolutely killer product. Poor as hell customer service but his stuff has the least problems of anyones stuff. If you have a harness already (stock) have Dusty at WCB rebuild it. A little cheaper than the rjm, not by much but since we are getting any of the 700 billion bailout every penny counts these days. BI

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
what if i had a 91 f150 sitting here, if i wanted to swap the engine trans and tcase would stock drive shafts work or would they be the wrong length? any answers on that one?

65 mustang

Wow sure would be nice if somebody could answer that question!!I don't know what t.c. was used in the f150, engine will be ok for length. If the shafts are your concern, have them fixed. It's something around $85-100. per shaft.Scott

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
Wow sure would be nice if somebody could answer that question!!I don't know what t.c. was used in the f150, engine will be ok for length. If the shafts are your concern, have them fixed. It's something around $85-100. per shaft.Scott

its just me working right now so i was hoping to have little to no money in swapping the drivetrain in. i know the engine would be the same but was wondering if the trans and t-case would be the same length between the 2

Broncobowsher

Total hack
what if i had a 91 f150 sitting here, if i wanted to swap the engine trans and tcase would stock drive shafts work or would they be the wrong length? any answers on that one?

Engine will be a speed density bank fire with a tall intake. Not good for hood clearance. Is is a 5.8 or 5.0?
Transmission is probably an AOD or E4OD. AOD could be adaptoed, E4OD is way too long.
Transfer case is a borg-warner unit. that transfer case is too wide to fit in the frame rails. It also has a slip yoke instead of a fixed flange on the rear output. Overall length is way too long and the rear diriveshaft will have severe angle issues. No stock driveshafts will work.

While the swap may look like a good idea, there is a lot wrong with it that is not easily corrected.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i went the easy way and bought a different eb instead and now ill use my mustang efi parts i have laying around