• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0l swap...utilize its steering pump?

19Bronco66

Loc.
SLC
I am swapping in a 5.0l and adding a dana 44 front axle and adding power steering to turn 35" tires. Can I use the power steering pump that is on the 5.0l? Its from an '89 Lincoln LSC.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Yes, however expect it to be noisy. The one I've been using for the last 2 1/2 years is a stock 90 Crown Vic one which runs both the steering and hydroboost brakes. It is a bit on the noisy side though and I plan to put a saginaw pump in as soon as I have all of the brackets.

OP
OP

19Bronco66

Loc.
SLC
Well crap, noisey is a relative term... I just wonder if it will drive me crazy. This will be my daily driver.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I'm using a '92 mustang pump, No noise at all, with a front locker and bound up on rocks it sometimes does not turn.
Should not be a problem with a daily driver.

Broncorm

Loc.
Perkinsville, VT
If you've got it use it until it makes too much noise then switch to the saginaw. Mines almost ready for the saginaw.

Last edited:

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I am using one from an 87 F150 and it works fine for me.. I put a large tranny cooler in the return line to help with heat problems and it has lasted almost a year.. I also plan to do the Saginaw pump later.. I just have two more spare pumps so I will stick with them a little while longer..LOL! I am running a Scout box with 35's and a LS front D44 and it works fine for me..

Projp

19Bronco66 said:
I am swapping in a 5.0l and adding a dana 44 front axle and adding power steering to turn 35" tires. Can I use the power steering pump that is on the 5.0l? Its from an '89 Lincoln LSC.

You can sure use it, just don't become attached to it.
After replacing the stock mustang pump twice I switched to a saginaw.
The original pump wore out proportional to how much I used it offroad.
If you are only on the street and don't crank it hard while stopped it might last longer.

PS. I am in Utah County if you need to look at my EFI

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I agree that it will work. I used to use the 'stang pump. I had it rebuilt and the guy modified it to work better with the recirculating ball steering box on an EB instead of the rack and pinion of the 'stang. It still wasn't all that great. I switched to an F250 pump and it's a little better. It has the same body and reservoir but with different internals. FYI, the pressure hose for a 78 Tbird with a 400 and Saginaw steering will have the correct fittings for the Bronco box and 'stang (C2) pump. You can reuse the stock return line. Like everyone else, I have my Saginaw pump and brackets sitting on my work bench waiting to go in. 35s and a Detroit up front make it a pain to turn in high traction situations, ie Moab slickrock.

NVraider

Loc.
Elko Nevada
I was told by a Bronco guy in Boise that the problem is with the bronco gearbox by Saginaw, he switched to the F-150 box made by Ford and he hasn't lost a pump since. (don't know what pump he's running, prob stock, he's real thrifty) Does that make sense to anyone?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
NVraider said:
I was told by a Bronco guy in Boise that the problem is with the bronco gearbox by Saginaw, he switched to the F-150 box made by Ford and he hasn't lost a pump since. (don't know what pump he's running, prob stock, he's real thrifty) Does that make sense to anyone?
The box I've been running with mine is a modified Scout II Saginaw box. Like I mentioned above it's a little noisy but it hasn't failed after 2 1/2 years or so of trail use. It's ripped the gear box off the frame and ripped the track bar drop down bracket loose though.

jimmyhat

NVraider said:

what exact year of F150 are you running? Im heading to the autowrecker asap

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
jimmyhat said:
what exact year of F150 are you running? Im heading to the autowrecker asap

You can find the plastic C2 pumps on pickups that will bolt into your brackets from about '78-'79 on. Can't remember exactly which year they switched over...tons of them out there.

Todd Z.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Im running the stang box, for the last 6 years on a daily driver and the EFI pump makes way more noise than the ps pump.

kntr

Bronco Guru
I use a PS box out of a 89 Toyota pickup with independant suspension. I also use the stock mustang pump and it is SUPER noisey. I thought something was wrong with the pump so I replaced it and its still noisey.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
SaddleUp said:
Yes, however expect it to be noisy. The one I've been using for the last 2 1/2 years is a stock 90 Crown Vic one which runs both the steering and hydroboost brakes. It is a bit on the noisy side though and I plan to put a saginaw pump in as soon as I have all of the brackets.

Another pump you can use for less $$ than a saginaw is for an early PSD. It has a place to hook up a return line for your H-boost and has a higher pressure than a rack and pinion pump. I saw one on a 97 F450 last time I was junkyarding.