• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

500 hp 600 torque 300 six

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Check out this six. Powernation TV. They maybe got a bit lucky with a stock bottom end. :) Need a stretched front end to get a 300 in I would imagine.

Scott

hucklburry rev2

People have dropped a 300 in, some without notching the front crossmember.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it, I just got a 250 running in my 66.

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
huck,
I'll have to do a search on that. I would think that thin electric fans would be the only options but Ill find out. Got a turbo ordered for yours yet? :)

Bb,
Nothing would surprise me with those guys! I'll see if I can find it on line.
EDIT: Found a partial on the Rotsun....Rot is right! LOL Ran across another old one and that was the Monza with the 5 leaf blowers for boost. That's a classic.

Last edited:

hucklburry rev2

huck,
I'll have to do a search on that. I would think that thin electric fans would be the only options but Ill find out. Got a turbo ordered for yours yet? :)

Bb,
Nothing would surprise me with those guys! I'll see if I can find it on line.

I got it running like 4 days ago, took it down the street 2 days ago, tuned on it last night, exhaust shop this coming Wednesday - and a week from this Sunday I hope to drive it St Louis to SuperCel West. It has good power, its an aluminum head crossflow from Australia, yet still 3 on the tree 1966. I don't think I am going to turbo this one, but its fun to think about.

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Hope everything goes well for you....you'll be passing within 2 hrs of me on the way through KS. I'd love to go out to that but I'll be doing a major rebuild to mine before it's ready to go anywhere. I have an 04 Rubicon, maybe I could put some Ford emblems on it and sneak in. :)

I got it running like 4 days ago, took it down the street 2 days ago, tuned on it last night, exhaust shop this coming Wednesday - and a week from this Sunday I hope to drive it St Louis to SuperCel West. It has good power, its an aluminum head crossflow from Australia, yet still 3 on the tree 1966. I don't think I am going to turbo this one, but its fun to think about.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
MAN THAT'S A COOL VIDEO. & I'M A big 300 CID fan.
.. I wouldn't want it Turbo'd. . But That Snippier . Or a 2bbl version on it would be so cool to me. I've played with several old 300.. It alway had plenty of power . Because it a 6 banger . I never expected over that much from it . But I'll bet I had 20 different carbs on it.
...... I always wanted to put a Small Base Rochester 2 bbl on it . I've still got one or 2 but I never got any to run . & That a very simple carb.
...............ON a note .. 1966 back when I was in High school .. Our ag class teacher let my self & a buddy Teach the shop side . He said just to see our projects.
SO MY Buddy Bruce had a 1955 chevy 6 cyl. His dad said he couldn't put a V8 INTO IT until the motor blew up . So we devised a plan . We welded up a carb adaptor from the 1 bbl to the small base 2 bbl carb.. WE CHEATED as I was already into the parts business. ... Simply working .. & Bruce got the prime job at the wrecking yard ... Pulling parts to sell..
SO WE show the freshman how to think outside the box. & Just build it . KISS. Keep It Simple STUPID....
wONDER WHERE THAT CAME FROM .. But they were FRESHMAN .
.... So we'd Show how to drill a hole . Make a temple from gasket material . & cut it to make a pattern out of. Then cut the metal . Bruce & I put in a few more hours at night . Got the 2 BBL FINISHED. & We got a quality running carb & Showed the class how to put a kit in the carb.. FLUE LINE & see thru filter & ...WE had that baby purring like a kitten .
... SO We'd disclosed what our GOAL really was to blow the 6 banger up .
... It would only run maybe 83 mph at 1st but with our carb set up . It moved to 95 .. & we put in larger jets .& It finally got up to 102...
.... & Mr Bruce ran that thing one the floor for another 2 months . FINALLY there came a sound from Down with-in . His Hot Rod . Chevy had started to Knocking ... & He drove it on home . & Poppa said he could Park it.
... GEE He had the 327 already waiting at the wrecking yard.. hE'D BEEN PAYING IT OUT BY THE WEEK'S WORTH OF PAY.

Last edited:

papy

Contributor
my buddy stuffed a 300, 6 into his 66 bronco. electric fans, np435, dana 20

what a beast of a rig

68ford

Bronco Guru
Imagine doing the same to a 408 stroker?
408 is a 300 online 6 with 2 more cylinders and usually a lot better heads ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Imagine doing the same to a 408 stroker?
408 is a 300 online 6 with 2 more cylinders and usually a lot better heads ;D

And you can get quality internals. And an aftermarket block that can handle it. Not limited to 5000 RPM before the stock cast crank decides to come apart.

1970 Palmer

And you can get quality internals. And an aftermarket block that can handle it. Not limited to 5000 RPM before the stock cast crank decides to come apart.

The farms in your neck of the woods used to use lots of Ford Industrial engines to pump irrigation water. The 300 inch six was a common Ford Industrial engine, and it came standard with a Forged Steel Crank.

Back in the day I spent a lot of time chasing 300 inch engine parts for a early I/Gas Thames drag car I was building. That was before all the lower gas classes became dominated by air cooled VW's.

John

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Otherwise known as a 400, produced from 1971-82. ;)

Looking for a better flowing head than the 300, not worse.

Looking at that build, basically a 10:1 compression engine. Already a premium fuel engine. Now push boost into it. So now you have an engine that will only run on good race gas.

I mentioned what roadkill did with a turbo on a stock 5.0 engine. Made the same or better power with the same displacement, no trick engine build to start with. And they are doing it on pump (premium) gas. If you build a 302 with the basic build they did on the 300 and do a turbo on top of it, you will see even more power.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well I just know I'd love to have another 300 with that Clifford intake that will take the Big 2bbl or the small 4BBL. & what ever one of the good heads are ..
I'VE RAN 4 300's & I have a 95 ford pickup EFI 300 & iT'S BEEN SUPPOSED TO GO INTO MY OLD 1980. IF I get it into BB.. Bronco BILLY. I'M going to leave the Body Just as ugly as it is . Kind of like a Rat Rod.. That how I drove it from 86 until it's been retired. 20 05 +r--.
... Loved that old BRONCO .

68ford

Bronco Guru
Cleveland heads flow worse? ?:?

He is referring to the 351/400M heads which were, as far as I am aware, horrible lol

Cleveland heads bolt onto a 351/400m but should not be compared in any way performance wise from everything I have read.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
He is referring to the 351/400M heads which were, as far as I am aware, horrible lol

Cleveland heads bolt onto a 351/400m but should not be compared in any way performance wise from everything I have read.

2V Cleveland heads and 351M/400 heads are identical in design, only slight differences in combustion chamber volume. That's why I asked.

And they flow way better than a 300 head, or SBF head for that matter.