• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6.5 ID DOM tubing

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone know where I can find some??? I can't find an online source anywhere and I don't have time to drive around looking for local sources.

I'm looking to build something for a crawler, but I need some 6.5 ID tube about a foot long.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you get up to those diameters, I usually use much more readily available pipe. That wouldn't work for your project?

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you get up to those diameters, I usually use much more readily available pipe. That wouldn't work for your project?

I need exactly 6.5 ID. Pipe diameters aren't that close.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
http://www.tottentubes.com/tubing-pipe-products/dom-mechanical-steel-tubing

They offer a 7" DOM with 1/4" wall thickness, which would give you your 6.5" ID requirement. You might call them and see if they have any remnants laying around.

Odds are you would have a much easier time finding a remnant of oversized structural pipe or seamless tubing in a size that you could then machine to whatever dimension you wanted in a lathe. You could honestly use bar stock and just machine it from scratch, it's only 12" long.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
http://www.tottentubes.com/tubing-pipe-products/dom-mechanical-steel-tubing

They offer a 7" DOM with 1/4" wall thickness, which would give you your 6.5" ID requirement. You might call them and see if they have any remnants laying around.

Odds are you would have a much easier time finding a remnant of oversized structural pipe or seamless tubing in a size that you could then machine to whatever dimension you wanted in a lathe. You could honestly use bar stock and just machine it from scratch, it's only 12" long.

Trying to stay away from machining. I can machine the end pieces myself, but I can't bore out a piece of pipe.

brewchief

Alro steel here in MI has an online store, I can find 7" DOM with .25 wall and they show some drops available, not cheap however, looks like it would be 170$ ish plus shipping for a 34" drop. They might be willing to cut it down but it probably won't get much cheaper although shipping might.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Alro steel here in MI has an online store, I can find 7" DOM with .25 wall and they show some drops available, not cheap however, looks like it would be 170$ ish plus shipping for a 34" drop. They might be willing to cut it down but it probably won't get much cheaper although shipping might.

I'm playing with their online store's cart.... I select a 12 inch cut. price is like, $130. I go back and add an 18" cut. Price on 12" drops to $65 and 18" is $83 or something...????????????????????????

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's some pics...

Attachments

• cart5.png
    cart5.png
    41 KB · Views: 12
  • cart1.png
    cart1.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 12
  • cart2.png
    cart2.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 12
  • cart3.png
    cart3.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 13
  • cart4.png
    cart4.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 11

brewchief

I'm playing with their online store's cart.... I select a 12 inch cut. price is like, $130. I go back and add an 18" cut. Price on 12" drops to $65 and 18" is $83 or something...????????????????????????

I've priced stuff before and noticed the same things.

I can only think that it's based on how much you are buying, there is going to be a set amount of time that it will take an employee to go pull a piece of steel from the rack and cut it, the time to make a second cut is much less and is reflected. You're buying two things, steel by the pound and the labor to process it.

I think that they would much rather sell full lengths, some years back a friend wanted some lengths of square tube cut in half so he could haul them, the charge to make the first cut was like 50$, the more cuts the cheaper it got but it was still very expensive.