• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6 cyl to V8 motor mount change

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie
Does anybody out there know of a video on this or know of any instructions or measurements etc on exactly where the new towers will weld to frame? TIA

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I got my v-8 weld on mounts from duff and it came with the measurements for installation. With that said I dropped in a 351w and driver side head rubbed the corner of the firewall a touch. If you weld em too far forward you'll get clearance issues with the front dress or the front frame crossmember..

broncobuddha

I used Duff weld on mounts also. We used the provided measurements.

We were slightly off, so we just make the holes a little bigger and used washers.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably bolt the frame mounts to the new engine while out of the car, put the engine in, get it where you want it, mark the frame, then pull and weld in the mounts.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with above statement but install the transmission in the correct spot as well. Then weld frame engine perches.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
both as a unit to mock up, removal;
the welding & return of both 4 good
isa 3rd, 4th post way.

OP
OP
Darryl M

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie
I got my v-8 weld on mounts from duff and it came with the measurements for installation. With that said I dropped in a 351w and driver side head rubbed the corner of the firewall a touch. If you weld em too far forward you'll get clearance issues with the front dress or the front frame crossmember..

Do you still have measurements?

EpeditionBronc

I'm going to be doing the same at some point and have the same question. Not sure if you do, but I've got the body off. I've thought I'll bolt the engine, trans and intermediate housing together and use the intermediate housing mount as the guide. I'll bolt the motor mounts to the engine and where ever they land with the intermediate housing bolted down, is where the motor mounts will get burned in. Anyone with more knowledge or experience see any problems with doing it this way?

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
w/no body - we'd put the whole DL in (minus DSs of course) & mark off towers and trany x-member location - remove'n weld in towers, drill x-member mount holes. But U R not the OP. We need to answ his Q 1st~