• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

65 or 66 Mustang C4 Trans ?

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
There is a guy here locally that has a 302 long block with a C4 that both had been recently rebuilt for sale . But my question is what would have to be done to the C4 to be able to use it with my 76 EB . I allready have a C4 from a 76 bronco with the adapter and transfer case but it needs rebuilding . Can the adapter be installed on the back of any C4 without the tailshaft ? The guys asking $500.00 for both but I think he will take alot less . What do yall think ? Thanks Robert

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
you'd have to change the output shaft, and the tailhousing. either way you're looking at having a tranny completely disassembled.

OP
OP
coupe66

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
So it would be just as good or better to just have my trans rebuilt ? Thanks ;D

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Be careful if it is a pre'66
The bellhousing bolt pattern is different. Typically called a 5 bolt pattern and the newer are the 6 bolt. I knew someone who got a core engine, rebuilt it, then couldn't use it because it wouldn't bolt to his transmiission.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just rebuild you 76 tranny you'll have to tear it all down anyways to swap the input shaft its a better tranny than the 65/66 ie more clutches in the drum and hardened input shaft and probably a better servo. But still $500 for both is a good deal I'd jump on it then sell the spare C-4

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
I tried put in a Stang C-4 in the my it ever did work as good as the Bronco C-4. After messing with it for a few months I rebuild my Bronco C-4 but it nice for a spare.

haydenjsle

Loc.
Southern CO
The bronco "pan" fill c4 is the better tranny-- 64-69 c4's used a smaller input shaft 24 spline vs. newer 70-up 26spline and were of the "case" fill design. Pan fill c4's were used primarily in trucks, vans, and broncos and are slightly stronger and bigger than the passenger car case fill design. I think all the pan fills also came with the better "H" servo and hardened input shaft.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
coupe66 said:
So it would be just as good or better to just have my trans rebuilt ? Thanks ;D

The answer is yes. The case and bell housing area on the 76 truck unit (Pan Filled or dipstick tube in the pan) is better built to withstand the weight of the transfer case. The early car C-4 is very different than a 76 truck unit. A lot of improvements were made to the C-4 during that 10 year span.

The 65-66 C-4 cruisomatic valve body you will not like either because in the D position it will shift 2-3, in the 2 position it will shift 1-2-3, and in the 1 gear selector position it will start and stay in low gear.

Side note:
If you install a 73-77 4x4 output shaft in a 65-69 C-4, the input shaft will rub against the output shaft and create metal shavings within the unit. Not a good idea. But it can be done if you grind about 3/16 of an inch off of the input shaft end that splines into the forward drum.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
haydenjsle said:
I think all the pan fills also came with the better "H" servo and hardened input shaft.

The pan fill C-4s that came in 240 or 300 six cylinder trucks & vans had "A" servos in them.