• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 3-speed-column help needed

byt3b0mb

hi everyone need some help / advice.

i got some linkage from Steve W. on here (THANKS STEVE) and now that i have installed it, im trying desperately to adjust it.

i have 1, 2, no third (if i have third second doesnt work) - after numerous adjustments i think the problem is the column itself, rather than the linkage and the adjustments.

any idea where to start with rebuilding the column shift? is there a kit? parts list of things i need? any help appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
What about Reverse? Do you have a body lift? Rebuild kit consists of 2 bushings and a spacer, less than $10.

Before you do anything else though I would follow this procedure -Jeff

Attachments

• 4F5B3786-657A-4E70-8D71-6966CBAE7295.jpg
    4F5B3786-657A-4E70-8D71-6966CBAE7295.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 43

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Interesting scan there but that's not how a Bronco 3 speed adjusts . The rods are threaded & must be removed & the adjusters turned by hand plus the pin or rod inserts on the end of the column in the engine compartment . I emailed JP instructions ....

kempco

I believe that at the bottom of the column where the two arms connect to the tubes that run up the steering column, they get loose and have a lot of play so they don't travel as far as they should. In turn don't move trans linkage far enough for both directions.

OP
OP
B

byt3b0mb

Interesting scan there but that's not how a Bronco 3 speed adjusts . The rods are threaded & must be removed & the adjusters turned by hand plus the pin or rod inserts on the end of the column in the engine compartment . I emailed JP instructions ....

yep got it. and thats exactly what i did. put it in neutral, put the screwdriver into the slot and lined up the linkage - then disconnected the underneath, adjusted the nuts and posts until they fit nicely.

I have Reverse and 1st adjusted just fine. the problem is 2nd & 3rd. second doesnt travel far enough up with the shift arm to click into gear, so i put it all back together, and adjusted second manually alone (put the transmission in 2nd by hand from below, then adjusted the rod to make sure it fit nicely. worked for a bit, then wouldnt always get into third,

adjusted the rod the other way, had issues with second.

cant seem to find the happy medium for 2nd & 3rd

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Yep sorry I meant to post this one

From your latest post sounds a lot like you need new spacer at a minimum, but of course should replace the bushings while you’re at it...unless your shift arms are bent?? Seen that too %)

Attachments

• 143D37DA-9191-4624-A6F5-D30F51B82BF1.jpg
    143D37DA-9191-4624-A6F5-D30F51B82BF1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
B

byt3b0mb

Yep sorry I meant to post this one

From your latest post sounds a lot like you need new spacer at a minimum, but of course should replace the bushings while you’re at it...unless your shift arms are bent?? Seen that too %)

yeah i think im going to have to look at the column linkage and see if that is the problem.