• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66-68 anti-theft posts location

chuckyb

Contributor
My 68 Bronco has the older style anti-theft set-up with the two posts attaching at the top of the TG.

I have unfortunately learned after painting that they were not in the correct location. They were too far to the edge and are interfering with the TG drains.

I’d like to mount them in the correct location. Please let me know if you have measurements that could assist with this. My first picture shows where the posts were incorrectly mounted and the second picture shows the vicinity of where I think they go.

Thanks as always for the help.

Attachments

• E3C1E799-00FB-4C6E-A9AB-23FF299D89CF.jpg
    E3C1E799-00FB-4C6E-A9AB-23FF299D89CF.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 65
  • AD68ADD0-5718-47FB-B97C-2D99DE9E01C4.jpg
    AD68ADD0-5718-47FB-B97C-2D99DE9E01C4.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 56

papy

Contributor
mine appeared to be in the stock location prior to paint however maybe best we confirm this is accurate with another member that knows for sure? no problems when tailgate was closed during my test fitting and body alignment but i had no weather-stripping or seals of any sort in place.

both drivers and passengers are exactly 3 1/2" from the edge of the tailgate and of course the bracket is contoured to the shape of the tailgate so it is 2 1/2" from the top down.

hope this helps
cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 36

papy

Contributor
My 68 Bronco has the older style anti-theft set-up with the two posts attaching at the top of the TG.

I have unfortunately learned after painting that they were not in the correct location. They were too far to the edge and are interfering with the TG drains.

I’d like to mount them in the correct location. Please let me know if you have measurements that could assist with this. My first picture shows where the posts were incorrectly mounted and the second picture shows the vicinity of where I think they go.

Thanks as always for the help.

first pick looks like it is 3 3/8" but it is indeed 3 1/2" on both ends...

OP
OP
chuckyb

chuckyb

Contributor
Thanks Papy! Exactly what I needed. My Grandfather replaced the TG early on due to rust and apparently overlooked this detail when reattaching the posts. Thanks again, looking forward to seeing some new pics of your rig soon.

papy

Contributor
Thanks Papy! Exactly what I needed. My Grandfather replaced the TG early on due to rust and apparently overlooked this detail when reattaching the posts. Thanks again, looking forward to seeing some new pics of your rig soon.

no problem and glad i can help! im not much for posting pics however here are a few of where i am at with my build. wont be long (spring of 2021) before she's on the road - at least thats what the plan is... lol

PS i absolutely love the pebble beige colour

Attachments

• IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2325.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2521.jpg
    IMG_2521.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
chuckyb

chuckyb

Contributor
Hi Papy - thanks for those pics....it looks really nice and glad you are happy with the paint.
I've been getting lots of compliments on the color. Keep on plugging away and you will hopefully be driving it soon!

68Broncoz

Contributor
Interesting, I have a 68 that I purchased from the original owner years ago. Never knew there was an older style antitheft.

The other thought is vendors make a locking tailgate handle then you would not need the anti theft.

Chris

papy

Contributor
Hi Papy - thanks for those pics....it looks really nice and glad you are happy with the paint.
I've been getting lots of compliments on the color. Keep on plugging away and you will hopefully be driving it soon!

cheers!
PS i might hit you up in the near future for those vacuum wiper motors pending there availability of course.
JP