• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 Bronco Gurus - Transfer case ?

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
Alright, I don't have much experience with 66's but have always noticed that the t-case lever was different from the later T-shift handle I'm used to see like what was on my '68. Is the Dana 20 itself different? I tried to move the shifter and could only move it back, can't seem to put it in neutral or 4Lo. I crawled underneath and noticed it only has one shift rail instead of the two side by side rails that move when you shift the lever. Does it sound like someone swapped in something different? I'll try to snap a photo tonight once I'm off work

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There was a Dana 20 in some pickups that were High range only. Any chance that might be what you have by now?

OP
OP
BroncKrawler

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
That would make perfect sense, if I remember correctly the shift knob only says 2Hi 4Hi where it would normally say 4Lo Neutral 2Hi 4 Hi. Is this a '66 thing only then?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The two speed case was a Dana 21 never seen one in a EB but that doesn't mean someone hasn't put one in for some strange reason. The Dana 21 was usually in F100 4x4's behind a NP435.

OP
OP
BroncKrawler

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
The two speed case was a Dana 21 never seen one in a EB but that doesn't mean someone hasn't put one in for some strange reason. The Dana 21 was usually in F100 4x4's behind a NP435.

You just pieced this puzzle together for me! The owner swapped in an NP435 and left the Dana 21 attached then. The 66 doesn't really need low range since it already has 4.56 gears in both ends, I think I'll just leave it be :cool: