• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 bronco original tailgate latch color

Druchti

Hey looking at the rear latch assembly on a 66 does anyone know if that's supposed to be plated or is it painted silver ? I've seen a few painted body color but I think originaly it was some type of metallic color from the factory ?Trying to stay as correct as possible . Any help would be great
Thanks

fordfan

Bronco Guru
All '66 latches were Zinc plated, not silver paint. No Bronco came from Ford with a painted latch. They were all Zinc except for the Sport and Ranger packages, which had a chrome handle.

I see high end builds with painted latch hardware and it really looks bad to me....:-[

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with that. Mine were a bit ragged looking on the '68 so I painted them body color. It's "nicer" just because of the new paint, but for some reason it just does not look as right to me as the original zinc/galvanized/whatever plating they used.
I might go back, but doubt it since I was basically covering up the old rust (a little too much patina for my taste) and don't feel like buying new ones.

Paul

KFS35

Loc.
Belleville, MI
I agree with that. Mine were a bit ragged looking on the '68 so I painted them body color. It's "nicer" just because of the new paint, but for some reason it just does not look as right to me as the original zinc/galvanized/whatever plating they used.
I might go back, but doubt it since I was basically covering up the old rust (a little too much patina for my taste) and don't feel like buying new ones.

Paul

This is where I am, too. Too rusty to re-use, and I don’t feel like buying new, so I painted them body color.

Broncoblood

Contributor
sand blast it lightly or dip it in a liquid over night rust remover then rattle can it with a 'flat clear' coat and it will look good, old school n og.

RVB

Contributor
1966 tailgate handle

I agree with Dennis. High end builds with painted tailgate latch hardware or hood latches look crummy. Both the mounting plate and handle should be zinc plated. Once in a while I have found a NOS handle, but not so much luck on the mounting plate. A OEM plate cleaned up with steel wool looks pretty good.

Thanks, Rex

Attachments

• IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 64

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
sand blast it lightly or dip it in a liquid over night rust remover then rattle can it with a 'flat clear' coat and it will look good, old school n og.

I'm going to try and dip mine and get all the paint off and see what I get. That's a great idea.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I agree with Dennis. High end builds with painted tailgate latch hardware or hood latches look crummy. Both the mounting plate and handle should be zinc plated. Once in a while I have found a NOS handle, but not so much luck on the mounting plate. A OEM plate cleaned up with steel wool looks pretty good.

Thanks, Rex

Oh come on lets see the rest of that tailgate Rex.I need some progress pic any way it's been awhile.