• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 Bronco project

armypilot_uh60

Contributor
My father-in law passed away and I was given a 1966 Bronco that I had always wanted. It has been sitting at least 20 years. Odometer says 45,000 but not sure if that's right or not. Any ideas where to start? Some rust on the front of the roof, not sure if that can be fixed or not. Might just buy a new roof. I am thinking I should keep it all original. It has a 6 cyl, wish it was a V8. Any ideas appeeciated.

crab

Bronco Guru
Welcome Armypilot. Sorry for your loss and congratulations on your '66. You found the most valuable resource on the planet and a great group of guys that will be able to answer any question you will ever have about early bronco's.
Post a pic if you can so we can see what you're dealing with and what you want to end up with. Remember, there is no limit!

crab

Bronco Guru
You might as well join the site for $12 per year. It will make your life a lot easier......Info is on the third thread down from the top on how to join.
Email me your pic and I'll post for you
craabs@gmail.com

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Sorry for your loss, and welcome to the forum. Awaiting pics, we like pics here lol :)

crab

Bronco Guru
Here you go.....

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 142
  • image2 (2).jpg
    image2 (2).jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 134

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
nice, welcome to the forum. Trust me there is no question that cannot be answered by someone on here. (I have asked a lot)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard and sorry to hear that sad news.. You def found the right place.

Start with all the basics, check fluids, wiring, etc...

OP
OP
armypilot_uh60

armypilot_uh60

Contributor
a couple of more

Here are a couple of more photos

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 100
  • side 2.jpg
    side 2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 95

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
You're the second UH-60 pilot with a early bronco that I've met. Not to sound too morbid but the first was a very good friend of mine shot down in the first gulf war. He was a good man. I was going to say kid, but we were all kid's back then. AH-64 pilot here, but I won't hold being a blackhawk pilot against you.

To get to your question. First thing to do after giving her a good bath will be to take an inventory and place everything into a good, restore or replace category. Prioritize this list from a safety first perspective. Brakes and driveline should top this list.

When you get to your items in the replace category you will then need to decide on if it's an item you wish to replace with a stock type replacement or an aftermarket upgrade. This is where the meaning of life type question resides for bronco owners. What do you want to do with it. Is this a weekend driver, an off road vehicle, etc. The reason we all love these things is that they can be built to do whatever we want to do with them. I live by the 70/30 rule. I think of where I'm going to be using this vehicle about 70% of the time and build accordingly. For me 20 years ago this was off road/light rock crawling so my bronco got built that way. Now I'm headed back to a mild manner street rig that only gets driven a couple days a week in the summer. Maybe for you this will be a daily driver. Each type of usage can help you make decisions on how you want to build out your rig. Just keep in mind that these things get in your soul and never leave. Do it right the first time, even if it means saving a bit for the right build.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Make sure you dig around to find and save any old parts that may have been taken off. 66 parts can be pricey. Especially hubcaps.
Looks like he was a Clemson fan....

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
There's a alot of orange under that mildew, it's going to look like a different truck after a bath lol. Need to determine what 66 parts are left in place like said above. You'll have many things different about your 66 than the other years.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Welcome aboard, sorry for your loss but I'm glad you've got something to remember him by, and also glad to hear you want to keep it original.

One word of advice, use Google search and include classicbroncos.com when you have questions...like search "Restoring a hardtop classicbroncos.com" and you will usually find that there is an existing thread on the subject.

As mentioned this is the best site for EB's, and can actually become a bit addictive, but searching the threads is much easier from the outside.

Jeff

OP
OP
armypilot_uh60

armypilot_uh60

Contributor
Engine pic

I think all of the parts are there. The carb is in the back of the vehicle and lots of parts around. I will most likely pull the engine and rebuild it myself. Although I would love to re-do it with mods I think I will have a hard time not keeping it original since it looks like everything but the wheels are original.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
armypilot_uh60

armypilot_uh60

Contributor
Must be something about Army guys and Bronco's. I was in until 95 and got out. Flight class 89-15. (Gold Bullets) When did you go through?

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Mine does not have the original valve cover like yours does, I'd like to find one though. If anyone has one send me a pM thanks

Jeff

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Some rust on the front of the roof, not sure if that can be fixed or not. Might just buy a new roof. I am thinking I should keep it all original.

Used tops can usually be found at a decent price. The one you have is not a '66 top. In 66 the liftgate lock was off to the side of the handle and the top bows were bolted instead of welded in.