• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 Budds - restore or restomod?

SlyCooper

Hey all I'm looking into buying a 66 "budds bronco" but wanted to get everyone's opinion.
For one, there is obvious rust in the floor pans. i assume aftermarket metal wont be a problem in fitment as there are no major differences.
Second, as much as i love an inline 6 (coming from a 79 fj40 2F) I want some more powah. Would stripping out the heart of this numbers matching 66 hurt the resell value? I guess i can always hold on to the old motor but I was leaning toward a 350, coyote, or get a cheap LS ( i know i know, but reliability and aftermarket support). this is my main question. the truck has been sitting for 15+ years so i would need an overhaul. if im going to pull it i might drop something else in its place.

Third, to make this a daily driver, less than 10 min commute, what would you recommend as highly suggested upgrades? not a huge fan of drums so maybe I'll switch to front disks. dont plan on doing anything over 33" tires so power steering likely isn't needed. suspension? maybe toss some bilsteins under there and call it a day? thinking about a vintage air setup as well.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

ps - trying to get a pic of the vin so we can nail down when this ol' girl rolled off the line. I'll be sure to follow up.

XLqq15ORlmLhe44TmQ5g9GeiuLpyZeD-oh4JW-KL2XaHA1ory4WtYJEjZYGkCvEE7y9-6CpgDTEGo792CHSHcWYo9H829qsokjWKOBA2zkNYQ-qtKwCNuUlwZVgTKsMy83VhJUFFpGlniVsttFY3KLrgESMnT8lCAkd_vYvb80AMp0n_PFrEV8gbTRAmkuk2zt3Z_KIWwT-XAyo9Mpu9UPcZVSWAZgKDEMZfltp7eiuSVfoUuz6ei1tnVAVJtse9SD6OnH4qdHiijGscbK80A18Won82BTNDtNkNHDN8VhsFTlDbELoAUARfaQ3qJemlNSTEMrQayWKo7g6pot57rhjEIMJFovwxXwDk_YR4ZCruTMLLUgkdoU_xoma1ABIxRuUofIbg5NaAznJ7i8sysad2bq9IJulbwQeba9fl-jv7TcCKMH7eKrpHJ3Wtj7kdui0HF8EqgVTwxV4F1I2RygNdZbktxiP9YmgpaNCdIiBfs2gC-8BFRWeb3rmHTxQDNKQny5t-JWqNyaZH6ehoyMGSprdDm-2KIeANcbwwF3adaM4-fZTGJKVoE-MMzzDqBav9jYwsfL-QIzaNqBzdF8dj6kg16_nErE96AM0dJQtKPu6Iv4OegGi4ulJuwmGVhPqYicnaPQOpJE_bhVCDa72mCbte4MB0Lmdn8_wOWFKvfkZtQb4E2eFK9HPanw20KOsrDwwyNRp7xlxO3tdVCACwQb1hMjb6drdCDhi5uBGYSrsiW1ztBg=w400-h866-no

Last edited:

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome!

If it was me (and it's not, so do whatever you want) I wouldn't want to modify a '66 if it's all there and original now. I'd either buy that one to restore, or pass on it for a later version to restomod. I own a '66 with 5.0EFI, 5-speed, Bilsteins, etc, etc but it was already done by previous owner.

If I did swap engines I would not use a 350 or LS! That would ruin the value to a diehard Ford guy like myself. A Ford 289, 302, 351W, or Coyote would be much better choices IMHO.

Disc brakes, Bilsteins, Vintage Air all sound like good ideas to me, after you've got it safe to drive. Whatever route you go have fun and good luck!

TNcowboy

Gotta agree with Storm'n
Your call but I wouldn't....and didn't.

Bought a 67 survivor (see my garage) that is stock as it gets with the idea of making a LUBR converting the 6 cylinder 3 speed to a 347 and c4 with upgrades throughout. When it came down to it, I just couldn't be the knucklehead that changed one that original

Found a 75 Ranger candidate that's getting the build and enjoying the originality of 67 in the slow lane.

Good luck what ever way you choose...and take his advice regarding the engine choice. You've got too many great Ford choices to ruin an otherwise good Bronco

OP
OP
S

SlyCooper

Welcome!

If it was me (and it's not, so do whatever you want) I wouldn't want to modify a '66 if it's all there and original now. I'd either buy that one to restore, or pass on it for a later version to restomod. I own a '66 with 5.0EFI, 5-speed, Bilsteins, etc, etc but it was already done by previous owner.

If I did swap engines I would not use a 350 or LS! That would ruin the value to a diehard Ford guy like myself. A Ford 289, 302, 351W, or Coyote would be much better choices IMHO.

Disc brakes, Bilsteins, Vintage Air all sound like good ideas to me, after you've got it safe to drive. Whatever route you go have fun and good luck!

say I keep the inline 6, is it worth messing with a Holley Sniper EFI for reliability sake? i've also found a 69 that's a basket case with the v8 (351?). needs floors throughout and front fenders.

OP
OP
S

SlyCooper

Gotta agree with Storm'n
Your call but I wouldn't....and didn't.

Bought a 67 survivor (see my garage) that is stock as it gets with the idea of making a LUBR converting the 6 cylinder 3 speed to a 347 and c4 with upgrades throughout. When it came down to it, I just couldn't be the knucklehead that changed one that original

Found a 75 Ranger candidate that's getting the build and enjoying the originality of 67 in the slow lane.

Good luck what ever way you choose...and take his advice regarding the engine choice. You've got too many great Ford choices to ruin an otherwise good Bronco

Thanks for the input! Just trying to get a feel for things as i'm planning on devoting all of summer to getting her road ready. Wanted to get all the ducks in a row to limit downtime. definitely dont plan on cutting anything and the most i'd do is a 2in lift. I want something my other half will want to not only ride around in but potentially drive (and confidently).

next big question is where to source replacement panels. Toms? Wild horses? I'd like to get whoever has the thickest metal.

TNcowboy

The 170 six cylinder is really reliable in stock configuration, you can get a lot of information here: https://fordsix.com both for stock setup and modified but efi is a modification I haven't seen

One other thing else to consider, you WILL have to cut the frame supports for the 6 cylinder motor mounts so they'll be no going back

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
there is just as much aftermarket support for FORD as an LS and the FORD is all bolt in, Unless you do a 100% restoration i dont think a v8 swap is going to affect resale it will actually probably go up price. I have seen bondo slathered broncos go across the auction block go for huge amounts of money and they were all "restomod" small lifts shiny paint shiny wheels and aluminum goodies under the hood. Unfortunately people over payed for a poor product. Do what you want with it it is your Bronco. It is a blue oval product i have never understand why people would want to put a GM engine in a Ford, My new 408 make 675HP and out runs LSX ultra 4 cars is a 70 year old design and cost about $10,000 less than there turn key engines and has 500 hours on it and hasent been opened. My 2 cents

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not many survivors left, especially a Budd component 66. Modify one that’s already on that path.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I'm going to take the other side of the argument! If you want a daily driver that is reliable and fun to drive you're going to want a V8 with fuel injection and a modern overdrive transmission. Also you're mistaken about not wanting power steering for 33's and under. Believe me, you'll be wanting PS after a few weeks or months! For the engine all the Ford engines already mentioned are good choices. You can upgrade the 289 or 302 to Mustang or Explorer efi pretty easily. There are a number of both auto and manual transmissions that have overdrive and they are a great improvement over the stock 3-speed. Yes you'll want at least front disks. Chevy conversion is the only one that will work with a Dana 30. Upgrade to a Dana 44 if you want a Ford based disk brake swap.

But let me back peddle a little. If this Budd bodied Bronco is a VERY low serial number (i.e. one of the first week production) then I would suggest keeping it original. Getting a later model Bronco may suit you better. 73 and up have power steering and automatic transmission as options. 76 and 77 have front disks standard.

OP
OP
S

SlyCooper

there is just as much aftermarket support for FORD as an LS and the FORD is all bolt in, Unless you do a 100% restoration i dont think a v8 swap is going to affect resale it will actually probably go up price. I have seen bondo slathered broncos go across the auction block go for huge amounts of money and they were all "restomod" small lifts shiny paint shiny wheels and aluminum goodies under the hood. Unfortunately people over payed for a poor product. Do what you want with it it is your Bronco. It is a blue oval product i have never understand why people would want to put a GM engine in a Ford, My new 408 make 675HP and out runs LSX ultra 4 cars is a 70 year old design and cost about $10,000 less than there turn key engines and has 500 hours on it and hasent been opened. My 2 cents

Good point. i guess i should have included that my uncle aka my "motor guy" is more familar with the LS line than Ford. really that would be the only reason to go that way but if its stand alone ECU stuff then i guess it wouldnt matter :eek:

OP
OP
S

SlyCooper

I'm going to take the other side of the argument! If you want a daily driver that is reliable and fun to drive you're going to want a V8 with fuel injection and a modern overdrive transmission. Also you're mistaken about not wanting power steering for 33's and under. Believe me, you'll be wanting PS after a few weeks or months! For the engine all the Ford engines already mentioned are good choices. You can upgrade the 289 or 302 to Mustang or Explorer efi pretty easily. There are a number of both auto and manual transmissions that have overdrive and they are a great improvement over the stock 3-speed. Yes you'll want at least front disks. Chevy conversion is the only one that will work with a Dana 30. Upgrade to a Dana 44 if you want a Ford based disk brake swap.

But let me back peddle a little. If this Budd bodied Bronco is a VERY low serial number (i.e. one of the first week production) then I would suggest keeping it original. Getting a later model Bronco may suit you better. 73 and up have power steering and automatic transmission as options. 76 and 77 have front disks standard.

Scoop! thanks for the input. how can i figure out if its low serial number? As far as aftermarket PS, electric or just do something from wild horses?

could anyone point me to a detailed build by someone on here?

Davidr34

Contributor
Loc.
Molalla or
I don’t know how many broncos you’ve owned but I would leave the 66 original restore it, drive it see what you like and don’t like then build a later model but stick with for if you put a LS in you will exclude a lot of potential buyers when you go to sale and resale value won’t be as good either.

OP
OP
S

SlyCooper

I don’t know how many broncos you’ve owned but I would leave the 66 original restore it, drive it see what you like and don’t like then build a later model but stick with for if you put a LS in you will exclude a lot of potential buyers when you go to sale and resale value won’t be as good either.

Sounds like i need to keep the LS out and throw the 302 in. thanks for the input, david. hopefully i'll have my hands on her soon enough and can post some pictures.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Scoop! thanks for the input. how can i figure out if its low serial number? As far as aftermarket PS, electric or just do something from wild horses?

could anyone point me to a detailed build by someone on here?

For low serial number see this thread: Earliest Broncos known to exist (1-30)!!

I would try to find a stock power steering system (upgraded to Saginaw pump) and then add hydroboost power brakes.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Again if it is very original try to keep it that way. If your are going to swap motors keep it a ford 289 or 302 this will keep the interest of Ford guys. The 66s broncos have a die hard following and people work really hard at keeping them correct for that year as they had some really unique parts. Things like the bumpers, front grill, tailgate and a bunch of interior items were one year only items that can be hard to find.

Now if the truck is already modified and those unique items are missing then the door is already opened to making modifications. It is your truck make it the way you want.

I agree with others that if you really want to daily drive it you will want power steering, power brakes and possibly a disc brake up grade. I put powersteering on my 70 and it only has 33" tires makes it much more enjoyable to drive. Good luck and post up some pics!

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I am with most on here when it comes to resto modding an early 66. I would definitely figure out the vin and when it was built before I decided on doing anything. I think if you restore it back to its original state that you would thoroughly enjoy it on a 10-minute ride to work. I also don't think that front discs are a bad upgrade when it comes to resale value except for the few die-hard purists/collectors. I added the Toms Bronco Parts power front disc conversion, although costly, it was very simple. It all showed up at once and was very easy to install. I wouldn't install a v8 in it simply because you have to start modifying things, as someone stated above, the engine mounts would have to be cut off and new ones welded on. A rebuilt 6 with a couple of period-correct upgrades would make for a peppy little motor to scoot around town in. I haven't seen any bronco's with a 6 cylinder and a fuel injection upgrade but I'm sure someone has done it. Honestly, a carb is plenty reliable if it is dialed in correctly. With fuel injection, you will be required to start modding again. Some ways are more invasive than others but starting to pull away from the original 66 that it started as. I did the wild horses 2.5 inch lift on my uncut 69 and I love the stance it has. I run L78 Super Traxion tires which are 30"s... I like the way they look but I could see having 31s and never having a problem with rubbing, not sure about 33s tho. That being said, I also chose not to install power steering on my bronco. I have been wheeling in it and driven it plenty on the road and do not regret not adding. I think power steering would only be necessary, like you said, with larger size tires and/or you were doing pretty gnarly off-roading/rock crawling. For day to day use and mild wheeling power steering is not a must in my opinion, especially if you are used to driving vehicles that don't have it.

All that being said, many of us are looking forward to seeing some pics. Also, it's your bronco, so if you decide to cut it up and build a rock crawling buggy that is your choice. It just might make some of us tear up a little. Haha! Good Luck.

OP
OP
S

SlyCooper

Well, i've learned a lot.

early builds needs to be kept stock at all costs. if its not i have a little more flexibility in mods.
dont cut it or risk being cut by Bronco purist everywhere
never mention the letters L and S next each other in the same sentence as Ford.
power steering if i go bigger than 31's

am i missing anything?

i cant seem to find a good list of differences on the interior from Bud to standard Ford. i only knew about eyebrow grill and front mounted rear shock. and something about the 'ticks' on the gauge cluster being different? not sure.

thanks everyone for your 2 cents, its been worth every penny! :D