• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 door posts

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
So im getting ready to put in door posts in my 66. There were basically nothing left of them. Doors were held on with ratchet straps. would you start by basically bolting it up to the fender to try to get a starting point and going from there with the posts?

thanks all

Rightpace

Can you post a few pictures?
Is your fender is still bolted up to the inner fender, cowl and grill? Is the outer rocker intact ?

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
When I've done these in the past, it's the door that matters not the fender. So, I suggest cut out all of the old, position the new w/ tacks, and then install the door w/ hinges to confirm alignment. The door to quarter panel gap and the rocker to bottom of door define the proper position. Watch out and do not mount the post too far towards the rear - if you consume the gap to quarter panel, there's nothing you can do to fix it, but start over or get the port-o-power out. Also a tip, do one side at a time so you can check the other side for clues on proper position. Once post is in the right spot, it's just spot welds then paint - not that bad. One last tip - be sure to drill all your spot weld (plug weld) holes with the post off the truck, and prep the surface these weld to by grinding and cleaning real well, then spray with weld-thru primer all sides that will be hidden.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
I've changed post before but had something to go by before. These are gone on this one. Front back both sides are rotted away. I'm starting with a quarter in place and a rocker that's been welded many times with chunks of metal to try to save it before me.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
It's so bad. The rear post had a strap of steel on it trying to hold shape but was still about 2 inches shorter than it should be. Not much seems to be lining up right now. The rocker was about an inch past it if I placed the post in and matched it up with the quarter panel. Rockers were replaced at one time but I think they were put on after the door posts rotted away.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
Well I had to move the front position 3 times but it's in and everything is close now.