• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

67 Bronco Heater reinstall HELP

mrtnfischer

Got it out no problem, getting it back in is be a big problem.
hoses cables etc.

BY Myself on my back, how do I install the cables and the cable clamps?? or do I do it on my knees OR what, wasted a few hours already.

I need some help and advice on how to get it back in with out 6 hands,;D;);)

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I had all the cables installed on the box before putting it in the truck but you could do it on the passenger floor. Then after I worked it into place I plugged the electrical on. Then I put it into position poking the heater core pipes through the holes in firewall. Then started putting some bolts in and put the hoses on from the engine side. Hope this helps.

JSBX

Contributor
I just did this. It can be a real pain in more ways then one. I did it mostly on my back. I took the seats out and that gave me a little more shoulder room. It takes time and patience. Hooking up the cables took the longest. I had to get someone to help when I stabbed the 4 studs through the fire wall. They helped me guide it through and started the nuts on the studs while I held it up from the inside. I am 68 years old so if I can do it you can.

BOBS 2 68S

Loc.
Hudson, CO
I took the ash tray and it's runners out and I was able to get to the cables and clamps. But I was just making adjustments. Also maybe take the glove box out. My 68's don't have the fuse block in the glove box.

Last edited:

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
I obtained a 'special' wrench to help out on the cables screws. I think it was an old 3/8'' wrench welded at an angle to a piece of all thread. Any way it worked for me.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm fixing to stick mine back in so once you figure it out let me know.

dholder

Just had mine out to replace the new leaking core from last year. Remove the ash tray. Remove the four nuts on the firewall. Pull the box aft, off the firewall and let it lay in the floor. Remove defroster ducts from box. Mine came off easy without loosening the clamps. From drivers side, standing on ground, reach in with a ratcheting 5/16-1/4 wrench with a phillips #2 bit and remove the screw holding the little clip on both cables. Unhook the cable from the actuator arms and remove the box from the truck. Reinstall is reverse. One person job for me. Would be helpful to remove glovebox, but not necessary.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I did this on my old bronco and dreading doing it on the new one. I took out the glove box and ashtray last time and as someone suggested above I'm going to try to attached the cables before putting the box in.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which cable goes where? My box was out when I bought the bronco. Where is the factory location of control valve under hood?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
If I remember correctly, Defrost cable connects to lever on lower left side of heater box; Fan / Heater control cable connects to lever on the right side of heater box; and Temp cable goes through firewall and connects to valve on heater hose.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I did this on my old bronco and dreading doing it on the new one. I took out the glove box and ashtray last time and as someone suggested above I'm going to try to attached the cables before putting the box in.[/QUOTE That would probably be the easiest way.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Where is the factory location of control valve under hood?

The valve may, or may not need to go where it was originally. Depends on how your engine is set up now.
You still carbureted with standard heater hose fitting locations? If so, the top hose from the elbow fitting on the intake runs back across the engine first.
The valve itself is on top of the engine, facing virtually front to back, and it's exact location is basically decided by your cable.

If you're running EFI, or have swapped out the normal fittings for the late-model steel heater hose setup, the valve position may change to laying up against the firewall between where the steel tubes terminate at the back of the intake/valve cover area, and where the two tubes from the heater core come out of the firewall.
Again, exact location dictated by the length of the TEMP control cable.

When the location of the valve is changed to this firewall mounting, you may need to get a reverse-flow valve. Some are very directional and don't operate as effectively when plumbed backwards.

Paul

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul! Its a 351C so where ever it will fit per my cable length then.

VB67bronco

Loc.
Va Beach
8cbe8a95b410b116cbaa8a7ddad7e3a5.jpg

I used this picture to help me when I removed and installed a complete new heater from the Radiator to the defrost vents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't see it that way. Looks like the normal layout to me.
Center knob is the fan speed and pull-for-heat cable running to the passenger side damper door.
Shows the passenger side cable running through the firewall to the valve. Making it the "TEMP" knob.

Paul

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
My 72 must have been laid out differently. It has the fan switch/pull for heat in the middle. Maybe PO changed it.

Attachments

• dash assm 2.jpg
    dash assm 2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 36
  • dash1.jpg
    dash1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 36
  • dash4.jpg
    dash4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 35

VB67bronco

Loc.
Va Beach
5d778c22296b04abd6fd9d081140700c.jpg

This is the diagram I used to where to place the heater knobs..

The most difficult part was attaching the defrost and Motor cables to the heater box levers.. you certainly need to remove the glove box to get your hands in there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 72 must have been laid out differently. It has the fan switch/pull for heat in the middle. Maybe PO changed it.

No, that's correct. Fan/Pull-for-heat is in the middle.
Temp is on the right.
Defrost is on the left.

Just like the diagrams and (I think?) the discussions have been here.

Paul