• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6cy to 302 radiator conversion.

PCRammer

So my 72 started to run a little warm when I installed the sniper FI. After some research I realised I still have the original 6cy radiator set-up and it was never upgraded when the PO put the 302 in. So I order a new AL 3 Core from Toms but I trying to figure out how to mount it. I will need the mounts they sell as well but how does all that attach to my current set-up. I think i know where the top mounts will go (see in attached photo??) but I do not see where the bottom mounts go....do I need to weld some type of cross member below?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You do need to weld on new lower brackets for the v-8 radiator. I would get the measurements for the stock v-8 radiator mounting locations. That way when the aluminum one rots out you can order a stock brass/copper set up.

catfan

Contributor
Stock is 19 1/2 ¢ to ¢ top and bottom . The L bracket welds on 19 3/4 from top of core support to where the rad bracket will mount.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
There are significant differences between a 6-cyl and V8 core support. You'll need to cut off the L brackets that the 6-cyl radiator bolts to and weld on the V8 radiator brackets

Then the V8 radiator mounts with these mounting brackets

Finally, the cutout in front of the radiator is a different size for the 6-cyl vs. V8. Trimming may be necessary to make the opening larger.