• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6r80 Shifter use...What's everyone using for bump shifting??

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I can't use a Lokar because of it's limited mounting possibilities compared to a Winters style... and Lokar wants over $400 for a shifter...bit ridiculous!

I can adapt my Winters to work for bumpshifting the 6r80 but to do so the shifter handle is centered...essentially making it so I have no gates to prevent accidently bumping or moving the shifter in or out of gear. Example: the shifter is in part but not "locked in" behind a gate. In theory, if you reached in to the cab to grab a coat it could catch on the shifter and move it out of Park... NOT GOOD.

Ideas? What's everyone using?

I'm thinking of trying to just mount two momentary on switches into a knob. Maybe one on top (upshift) and one in the front for downshifting as an example.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200408-064952_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200408-064952_Chrome.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Here's a pic of a dirty Winters 4r70w shifter and the shifter "centered". Not offering much protection from accidently getting bumped out of Park or any gear.

Attachments

• 20200406_170302.jpg
    20200406_170302.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I've seen it and have run it thru the gears at Rory's shop. It's pretty cool but it (like all shifters but the Winters that I've seen so far) is limited in mounting applications.

His VX is a cool design. He was using some of my parts to make prototypes for the 6r80 linkage. T-cases get in the way...looking at going over the top.

Looking back at the pic above... I guess I've run this thing thru the gears a few times!! :)
If I can get this to work safely (being more secure in Park) it might be time to order a new gate with decals...dress it up a bit! lol

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Looking to see what to call the switch we used to tap shift in the U4 car. I can’t remember what it’s called. It was an industrial switch that was large and robust. We mounted it to the steering column and you could tap up and down like a turn signal only it was on the right side like a shifter. Was on a GM trans but the concept is the same.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Your's looks like the "industrial quality" I'd need!! :)

This pic is what I've found for a remote mount - so far. I found a couple of small HD micro switches that if I could incorporate them into the handle or shifter knob...

Inbed one on each side of the knob and run the wires through my hollowed shifter handle...

I like that switch Steve. If it was 200 bucks less I'd be on it!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200408-064952_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200408-064952_Chrome.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 6

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Your's looks like the "industrial quality" I'd need!! :)

This pic is what I've found for a remote mount - so far. I found a couple of small HD micro switches that if I could incorporate them into the handle or shifter knob...

Inbed one on each side of the knob and run the wires through my hollowed shifter handle...

I like that switch Steve. If it was 200 bucks less I'd be on it!!

There are others, we used a refurbished one that we bought off ebay for $75.

Look into joystick switches for skid steers and excavators, they will give you the robustness your looking for and potentially become the shift knob.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Good idea... one nice thing with the 6 and 10r80's is the switch does absolutely nothing unless the shifter is in "M" mode. This means nothing accidental might/could happen...

I would much prefer the shifter to move side to side but not having the ability to securely "lock" the shifter into park has brought on bad dreams about Rosie bumping the shifter and my Bronco tumbling off Moab Rim trail... aaaaugh!

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Spent some time on the phone today. Rory (VX shifter builder) has a micro-switch bumpshift setup that will work for Winters shifters. Problem is the shifter has to be centered because it has springs on both sides to operate the bumpswitch properly.

Since this creates a potential dangerous situation because it doesn't securely keep the shifter in park... :( I'm very hestitant to use it by itself.

I talked to Winters several times today... looks like they might now be looking into creating a shifter to handle this manual "electronic" shifting for 6r and 10r80's. They hadn't even thought of building a shifter for the newer style 6 and 10 speeds. (Really??)

I have looked into adapting the Lockout Shifter in my standard Winters which would 100% lock my shifter into Park and then I could use the side to side bumpstop shifting capabilities that Rory has developed. We are checking into the last thing that could stop this which is the shape of the hex shaped shifter rod.

Will know more by the weekend...

Other option is to just use a separate toggle switch like Steve mentioned or the funky little one I posted up also. :) This way I could keep my stock Winters and just hook up the 2 momentary on micro-switches.