• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6th Annual Fathers Day Run - Clayton OK

PaulC

Hi All. I am starting to get some interest again about hitting Clayton for Fathers Day. This is an informal non-sponsored run that a good group of Lonestar EB guys started up.

When – June 12 – 15, we arrive Thurs and chill, then wheel hard Friday and Saturday all day on trails. And if there are still any trucks running we try to hit trails again Sun AM.

Where – Clayton, Oklahoma.
Most of us stay on Sardis Lake, at the Potato Hills Central campground.
You can view/reserve camping and RV spots thru http://www.reserveamerica.com, and do a search for the campground name.
I have spot C65, we usu fill all the spots on that peninsula. Nice RV spots w/elec (not all sites have water. no sewer sites). There’s tent camping, too. There’s bathroom and showers right there. There’s bbq grills. There’s a cool swimming beach at Potato Hills South campground. There’s some non-chain motels in Clayton. There’s gas and groceries in Clayton. There’s some nearby cabin rentals too (Little Slice of Heaven??).

Trails - We wheel Green Acres usually, and can get out to Freilings, too. These trails are 6 and 12 miles away from campground, most of us drive Broncos to trail heads (pls have a registered truck with lights), and some tow to the trailhead. There’s fee boxes at both off road parks, $20 or $25. There are lots of trails, similar terrain as Hot Springs (foothills, rocks, and lotsa trees).

Who – anyone that wants! There's lotsa kids tagging along. Bring your father. This is a family gig. Usually the group is 15 or so 35-40” locked F&R EBs, running med and hard crawling trails. If you are coming in below that level it would be helpful to have several similar built trucks like yours to keep trail groups more formed up with buddy systems. Check with me on who else is coming if you are concerned for those matchups.

Post up any questions, and as the date gets closer please put the bug in my ear that you are planning on coming so that we know to look for you.

Thx! -Paul
Austin, Tx.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Sounds Good Paul.. I do plan on making this trip again this year and will hopefully be able to stay the entire weekend this time instead of just Friday wheeling only.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sounds Good Paul.. I do plan on making this trip again this year and will hopefully be able to stay the entire weekend this time instead of just Friday wheeling only.

Great place to test the new set up right :)

One of these days I will join y'all

74 Explorer

I will be there!! My favorite place to wheel!!

We will be staying on the air strip!

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulC

PaulC

Very cool, some returning victims, and some new faces!

Off-list I heard from Stephen, Chad, Dennis and Jimmy, Cody and Daniel, Brent, James, etc, will make the trip.

I will hit up the big group at the Lonestar RoundUp this week and see if we have some more takers.

Thx. -Paul.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Now that I have a barely running EB, put me on the list. And thanks for the help, Mr. C.

OP
OP
PaulC

PaulC

Super deal, Brad, it will be great to wheel with you guys again. This is getting good!

Matt, we'll get that truck tuned and tweaked and broken in right, on the rocks in Mason. Easy.

-Paul.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Bump!;D

Looks like I'm out. :mad:

I have a prior commitment I didn't realize was a conflict.

74 Explorer

A few pictures of Clayton from our trip last fall before OCBR.

20130924_094049.jpg

20130924_163450.jpg

20130924_155007.jpg

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Was just south of Clayton today...........beautiful out, wasn't wheeling though.

OP
OP
PaulC

PaulC

One week out! The group has grown! And there's even talk of wheeling Thurs, night wheeling, and running all the most difficult trails now. Phew, so much for a laid back Father's Day. Its ON now! :)

Are there lurkers that are on the fence about coming, or is there anyone coming that hasn't touched base yet?

I have to go put my truck together now, but will check back to see if there are any questions soon. -Paul.

Broncobilly74EB

Loc.
Richardson
Clayton - Lonestar Broncos June 14, 2014

Hey Guy's,
Last minute change---I'm planning on coming up early Saturday morning from Richardson Texas. I might have my step-son with me.
I did wheel in K2 with the Lonestar group.
Where is the best spot to meet up with you guy's?
Potato Hills Campground?
I should take me 3 hours towing it up there.
What time do you plan to hit the runs?
Bill Smith
Bronco Billy
805 338-3371

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
They've had quite a bit of rain, supposed to rain again Wednesday evening...........you all make sure you bring your 4x4's.........:p:p

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
My plan is to haul doubles down Thursday and stay in McAlester like I have previous years and then head down early Friday morning. Wheel Friday then be heading down to the Lake House for the rest of the weekend. WHat time is everyone hitting the trail Friday morning?

OP
OP
PaulC

PaulC

Hey Kyle, sounds great. Lets all try to be at the airstrip at Green Acres at 9am, ready to roll 9:30?

Weather should be super awesome. There's been some rain, and more today/Thurs, but Fri thru Sun look to be sunny and actually kinda cool 80's. The rain doesn't kill the wheeling there.

-Paul