• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

70 Bronco caught fire

TimTide

Loc.
Heart of Dixie
Hey I'm looking for a little advice about which distributor to buy. My 70 Bronco had a minor engine fire from a leaky fuel line. The damage is minimal but will include new spark plug wires and distributor. The old distributor was a ProComp Hei and I'm running a 351w. Any suggestions in which way to go? TIA

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
sorry to hear about the fire but at least it seems that it didn't cause too much damage!

my 2 cents and I've tried just about every option over the last 30 years.
I had points, pertronics in my points dizzy, pertronics plug and play dizzy, MSD dizzy, MSD 6a box etc.

I converted over to the Duraspark system out of a '77 and it runs better than ever. bought all parts new (dizzy, harness, module and coil) and still cheaper than most new aftermarket distributors alone.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Ford fixed all the real ignition problems when they developed the Duraspark ignition in '76. In '77 a large diameter distributor cap was added to control the higher voltage. The tendency to go to speed shops by the uninformed resulted in bad decisions. Speed shop parts are even worse than chain store ChiCom parts. Rubber fuel hoses have been a fire hazard for ever. By the early '80s the major manufacturers went to steel fuel lines from the pump to the carb. The cheap GM HEI type distributors offer nothing. See here;http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=19440. Many of the HEI distributors don't even fit under the hood of EBs.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey I'm looking for a little advice about which distributor to buy. My 70 Bronco had a minor engine fire from a leaky fuel line. The damage is minimal but will include new spark plug wires and distributor. The old distributor was a ProComp Hei and I'm running a 351w. Any suggestions in which way to go? TIA

There's a way to run HEI without using a HEI distributor. The setup can be triggered by any Hall-effect magnetic trigger, like the one used in the
Ford Duraspark distributor. It eliminates all the problems created by having the coil mounted directly over the ignition module. This is still
mounted to the fender skirt as a backup ignition in case my ignition box fails.

Attachments

• 20190616_163638.jpg
    20190616_163638.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 28
  • DS-HEI.jpg
    DS-HEI.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 32

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There's a way to run HEI without using a HEI distributor. The setup can be triggered by any Hall-effect magnetic trigger, like the one used in the
Ford Duraspark distributor. It eliminates all the problems created by having the coil mounted directly over the ignition module. This is still
mounted to the fender skirt as a backup ignition in case my ignition box fails.

That works great. Some have even found that same module installed in a duraspark housing bought at parts stores.

The only thing that you have to do is make sure the module is grounded (it grounds through the mounting hole) and it has a decent heat sink. I have no issues with running a GM module. Well proven pieces.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
After reading the above article it's apparent that there is no advantage to the HEI over Duraspark ignition. So why would anyone substitute parts of the Duraspark system with inferior parts made for other systems? It's not as if Duraspark parts are prohibitively expensive or hard to find. The appearance isn't improved either.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
After reading the above article it's apparent that there is no advantage to the HEI over Duraspark ignition. So why would anyone substitute parts of the Duraspark system with inferior parts made for other systems? It's not as if Duraspark parts are prohibitively expensive or hard to find. The appearance isn't improved either.

For one, wiring up an HEI is much simpler than a Duraspark. Nothing tied into the starter solenoid, no ballast resistor. And that is using the stock looking Duraspark distributor with an HEI module. Go to a full on ugly duckling HEI and it is even simpler in only a single power wire is needed.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I agree HEI is simpler the article above points that out. The more sophisticated Duraspark came out later and therefore included features like a 4 degree timing retard to ease cranking. The ignition is wired to the ignition switch not the starter relay. Just like points. The module has to be wired to the switch to feed the cranking feature. This article explains this https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/rotunda-tach-with-ford-duraspark.656722/page-2. The resistance wire spreads the heat out unlike ballast resisters that burn out. The same resistance wire was included in points ignition.
When you're away from home the HEI crap will be fun to explain to the kid at the computer.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
The Duraspark is a really good system. My experience with the GM HEI is different than the person that wrote that article. Like Ford, after market parts give a good system a bad rap.

Both have been very good for many years.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Do yourself a favor and call Scotty at Parkland Performance.
He's a Duraspark guru.
I've had him set up a couple of Duraspark distributors.
The important detail about distributors is the advance curve and limit for the centrifugal and vacuum advance. If you don't get that right for your particular engine and application, you'll be leaving performance on the table.

http://parklandautomachine.com/