• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

70 Bronco Trying to get her running again.

70_Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

Haven't posted in about five years I purchased a 1970 Bronco back in 05 and has been sitting ever since I never got to work on it due the economy and me going back to school. Now that I have a steady job again I would like to start what I was suppose to have started.

Problems that I did have when it was running. When I turned the engine off it would stay on but not like a normal idle it was more like it wanted to cut off and the smoke from the exhaust would burn my eyes almost like tear gas.
Any ideas? Maybe carb went bad? I don't know.

I have pics but how do you attach them as an attachment? I don't see the paper clip icon by itself?

OP
OP

70_Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles, CA
Here are the pics. Looks like the carb is new or just repainted? Not familiar with the whole carb setup mostly fuel injection but I would imagine it would be easier to work on.

Attachments

• DSCN1207.jpg
    DSCN1207.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1205.jpg
    DSCN1205.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN1208.jpg
    DSCN1208.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 43

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If the carb wasn't bad back then I would worry about it now after sitting 5 years with bad gas in it. Just looking at the carb you have issues. someone removed the choke and who knows what else has been done to it. After sitting for 5 years I would not trust the accelerator pump on the carb it might start leaking and I would always worry about the stock fuel pump. I'd start by dumping the old gas and rebuilding the carb. I would also check all the fuel lines for cracks from the tank to the carb. No sence starting it up to just catch it on fire. A couple of hours well spent for a little safety. Good luck and welcome back.

OP
OP

70_Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles, CA
If the carb wasn't bad back then I would worry about it now after sitting 5 years with bad gas in it. Just looking at the carb you have issues. someone removed the choke and who knows what else has been done to it. After sitting for 5 years I would not trust the accelerator pump on the carb it might start leaking and I would always worry about the stock fuel pump. I'd start by dumping the old gas and rebuilding the carb. I would also check all the fuel lines for cracks from the tank to the carb. No sence starting it up to just catch it on fire. A couple of hours well spent for a little safety. Good luck and welcome back.

I was looking into buying a new carburetor anyway I was looking at Summits catalog and looking at Edelbrocks performer models I know the difference between manual and electric chokes but can I put and electric model on my motor since there is a choke knob is on the dash? Again thanks in advance.

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I was looking into buying a new carburetor anyway I was looking at Summits catalog and looking at Edelbrocks performer models I know the difference between manual and electric chokes but can I put and electric model on my motor since there is a choke knob is on the dash? Again thanks in advance.

You can get either one you want. An electric one wouldn't be that hard to hook up, you just need to hook the positive side up to a wire that comes on with the key, and run a ground wire to a nearby bolt. Since you have a choke cable already you could hook that up if you got a manual model.

Either way you like it. If your getting a new carb you might want to decide which one you prefer and get the carb with the setup already, I don't imagine it's all that easy to convert one to the other without getting some kind of kit, scavenging parts, or just Jerry-rigging something.

Personally I favor a manual choke, but the Edelbrock that came on my '70 is electric, so I hooked it up, and it works fine. I'm just a control freak. ;D

OP
OP

70_Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles, CA
You can get either one you want. An electric one wouldn't be that hard to hook up, you just need to hook the positive side up to a wire that comes on with the key, and run a ground wire to a nearby bolt. Since you have a choke cable already you could hook that up if you got a manual model.

Either way you like it. If your getting a new carb you might want to decide which one you prefer and get the carb with the setup already, I don't imagine it's all that easy to convert one to the other without getting some kind of kit, scavenging parts, or just Jerry-rigging something.

Personally I favor a manual choke, but the Edelbrock that came on my '70 is electric, so I hooked it up, and it works fine. I'm just a control freak. ;D

Alright thanks I think the cable for the choke is missing so I'm just going to get an electric one. Whats the rule of thumb for figuring out how much CFM to use on a stock 302? Is it 2 cfm for every cubic inch?

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Alright thanks I think the cable for the choke is missing so I'm just going to get an electric one. Whats the rule of thumb for figuring out how much CFM to use on a stock 302? Is it 2 cfm for every cubic inch?

Someone a lot more knowledgeable than myself will have to explain the details of cfm, I mostly just repeat what I hear elsewhere if it makes sense.

However I do know from reading similar discussions that the general consensus has been a stock 302 and 500cfm go well together, particularly when it comes to throttle response. I believe in order to take full advantage of higher cfm you would need cams and such designed for it.

I have a 600cfm and my 302 runs like a top, however I have noticed the throttle response seems a bit laggy in the low range, you start pressing down on the pedal and it starts to rev up, and as you continue to press down it quickly feels like it wants to take off, not a lot of low end control on the pedal. the transition from idle to sucking gas is not that much.