• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

7100 Nitrogen Charge?

pbwcr

When charging a shocks we use a tool like this
http://performanceshock.com/index.p...id=682&zenid=beee25aca9a810be6f8686fdd1a1d494
Why is because the shock has a small volume and just connecting and disconnecting will change the shock pressure quite a bit. The tool works because its volume inside it is extremely small compared to the shock volume.
The tool allows checking the pressure without loosing the shock charge. Then when charging you open the valve and put in the N2 then close the valve and the result is you end up with the pressure of the last reading. Lots of outfits sell these shock tools so shop around and spend much less than the link. Most all of the tools come with an accurate gauge and you can check it with any tire gauge or several of them. Any shop that works with shocks will have the tool.
Yes push out the old gas with the shock at full compression then fill at full droop.

I think I paid around $40-50 for my tool back in the day.
Harbor Freight has a low cost N2 charging setup and with the tool the quality of the stuff that comes with the HF setup will not matter.

Cost is a lot less to have the local shop do it compared to having your own setup.
PW

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
You won't hurt them by running them with no pressure but they won't work like they should.
nnnnnnnnnnghtt, not really right. You won't do permanent damage immediately, but you will fill the oil with air or gas bubbles and that is almost impossible to get out with the oil in the shock. That in turn screws up the damping as mentioned and long term will cause cavitation damage to the piston and shims. Better to just take it off & drive w/o than to drive with no pressure.

I run around 200 psi in my 7100's & Fox 2.0's.

N2 bottle from the local welding shop; regulator out of a former work's "junk" pile; 6' hose from Oxnard Hose; the special accumulator fitting (used in in industrial accumulators, try an industrial hyd shop) from Don's Industrial; and a better low pressure gauge for the regulator from McMaster. I'm into mine for about $250 total.

pbwcr

Agree with ntsqd - do not use with no pressure.
The shock guy told me 150 for my 2.0 Fox shocks with remote res. So around 150 and 200 might be in the ball park for the 7100s?. My King 3" res shocks have 250 per king direction. I Wonder what the manufacturer says for 7100s? Maybe not the numbers quoted above?
PW

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
180-220 psi for Bilstein 7100's
Per: http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/7100_Rebuild_01.pdf

EDIT: Specifically what it says (Bolding theirs):

"Gas Pressure - All 7100 Series shocks must be checked regularly for proper gas pressure. Bilstein recommends using 180 - 220 P.S.I. . You should experiment with pressure to find what best suites your application. Always use safety glasses when adjusting pressure. Use nitrogen only! "

Last edited: