• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

72 Bronco..Does the inside bearing nut need to be loosened 1/4 Turn.

Ark Bigfoot

I replaced front brakes and bearings on 72 Bronco. I tightend the inner bearing nut to 50 and "seated" the bearings but forgot to back off 1/4 of a turn.. I have put it all back together. Should I go back and loosen the nut 1/4 turn?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I replaced front brakes and bearings on 72 Bronco. I tightend the inner bearing nut to 50 and "seated" the bearings but forgot to back off 1/4 of a turn.. I have put it all back together. Should I go back and loosen the nut 1/4 turn?

Yes. That’s gonna be way too tight. Especially when the outer lock nut goes to 100ft.lbs.

Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another vote for "definitely yes" re-do it.
It's not a big deal now that you've done it, and you don't even have to remove the wheel. In fact you could probably get away with not even jacking the wheel off the ground in an emergency, but I would not try that here. Just get it up off the ground, remove the lockout and re-adjust the nuts.

Or you could start off by connecting your dial-indicator and magnetic base to test for bearing free-play. The spec is .001 to .010 inch. My guess is you would not measure even the minimum with that setting.

You did torque the outer to a high value like Mark said? Minimum of 70lbs, but better ats 100lbs or more according to most service manuals.
In fact some list it at 180lbs! Those could be typos, or were meant for larger vehicles, but the specified free-play is consistent about 99% of the time.

Paul

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have over tightened one once, made it a few thousand miles, froze up in bum f##k idaho.
that was expensive. hitch a ride to phone to call tow truck, bum a ride back to Bronco, tow 50 miles to garage, had to cut off spindle, rent a car to drive 100 miles one way to find used parts ( remember passing yard with lots of broncos), pay way too much for used parts, drive back to garage to leave part for next morning, drive back to camper 50 mles, drive back to garage get bronco and return rental.

the good old days

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 24

broncosam

Bronco Guru
Yes, that inner nut needs to be backed off or you are in for some more repair work.

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Wheel bearings

Ark Bigfoot,

Yes x 5. I did not do the loosen 1/4 turn on my '93 FSB and the bearing froze after about 100 miles. Had to cut the bearing of the spindle with an angle grinder. That sucked bad.
The procedure is to preload the inner bearing to seat it and loosen slightly since the outer will be pushing against it at 100 ft. lbs. Good luck.

v/r,

Mike

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Rarely do you get everyone to agree here so this must be gospel! Another vote for yes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a great story ransil! A horror story maybe, but a good 'un for sure.
One that can certainly be a good lesson for others.

That seems a common theme. Even mechanics get it wrong when they don't ask. Friend's F250 bearing froze up down in the middle of CA on I-5 after having the wheel bearings serviced at the local Pep Boys the day before.
Turned out they didn't have the proper hub nut socket, and didn't have the expertise to work on an "older" truck (it was about 8 years old at the time I think) anyway.
Guess it's harder to ask questions first sometimes. Cost Pep Boys a fair amount to remedy it though. (but they did to their credit).

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I vote yes also . But remember that used bearing won't fade off as bad as new bearings can do.
Or said another way. Is new bearings will loosen up more than used bearing your just repacking .