• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

72 Bronco..... going from NP435 /205 to C4 / D20

Aso544

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
Ok... Finally to the point I'm gonna get everything needed to get my manual swapped to an auto. I'm gonna list all I think I need but if you see something I missing, however small, please advise. I want to get everything in hand before the project starts.

4wd C4
D20 w/adapter
Drive shafts x2(properly sized)
Torque converter (suggested size for 302, 3.50 gears, 33" tires?)
Tranny cooler
Auto Steering Column ( stock or FR)
Auto Brake Pedal

I did some research and it appears a C4 won't work with my 205... Or so I was told so that's why I'm going with the D20. Also... I contemplated going with an AOD but was concerned with my gears/tire size that it might not be all that effective on the interstate.

Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated on this project.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No need for auto brake pedal. It just has a wider pad, everything else is the same.

You will want a stock converter with those gears and tires. It will be a little doggy on takeoff but good on the highway. Consider 4.10 gearing.

4x4 C4 is not specific enough. Bronco IIs used a 4x4 C5 that is often confused with a C4. Big difference is the spline count on the output shaft. You need a Bronco C4, 28 spline short output.

D20 needs C4 adapter, bearing retainer, and auto spud shaft.

Need an auto trans block plate and flexplate. There are several sizes. A pan-fill C4 (Bronco) uses a big bellhousing (164 tooth flexplate) and the big blockplate. Flexplate bolts are shorter than flywheel bolts.

Need a vacuum line for the modulator.

Need a kickdown rod or cable. The rod requires the carb linkage so it may be easier to use a cable.

rwill

Just did this. (3speed) Seriously doubt cooler will do the job. It would not here in Arkansas summer heat. Al;so need automatic starter.
Roger