• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'72 Bronco project (Cypress, Tx)

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I haven't seen where anyone on here has mentioned it, or if it would be in your budget, but you can buy brand new frames for what I would consider reasonable, $2500-3000. In case you didn't know that already.

71 CA Bronco

DNE, you might consider raising the cowl for the AC. Its a very tight fit getting a Vintage Air unit under the dash. I raised mine and it was still tight. If I was to do it all over I would definitely raise the cowl again but also make the new section a removable hatch. I have seen several guys do this and it makes working on the AC unit or getting under that part of the dash much easier.

Look at post 157-160 here. https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/71-cali-bronco-build.266790/page-8

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Wow, just read your build~ that's a hard act to follow; you're incredible! I'm going out there and see what I can come up with the do what you said, removable. I have it low to the ground and should be at least easy to access. I also like the swing down dash idea;) Though a long way off, I may have to look at the hard top top replacement, but again~ least of my concerns. I'll be back!
dne'

Attachments

• Bronco on maxjaxb.jpg
    Bronco on maxjaxb.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 12

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
oh, I don't have the hood leveler things in. I usually use a blank and anything laying around to put the hood level to the fenders;) You scared me for a second! lol
I onlu mention the hood shims because on the passenger side the hood seems to come up short to the front of the grill. my factory hood came up short on the same side new from the factory after repainting I shimmed the rear hinge to push it fluch with the grill edge. I don't mean to scare you.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
I just posted a bunch of pictures without any order~ I don't have the AC system yet, but hope I'm going the right direction. I do plan to make the panel removable. I'll have to go back on 71 CA's build` I'll be back;)

Attachments

• Bronco cowls.jpg
    Bronco cowls.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Bronco cowlf.jpg
    Bronco cowlf.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Bronco cowle.jpg
    Bronco cowle.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 46
  • Bronco cowld.jpg
    Bronco cowld.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Bronco cowlc.jpg
    Bronco cowlc.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Bronco cowlb.jpg
    Bronco cowlb.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Bronco cowla.jpg
    Bronco cowla.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
iT'S not going to be as nice as CA's build, but I think it should be nice. I'm not done, just taking a little break to hang out with Gary

How can I put those raised ridges in the metal?
;)

Attachments

• Bronco cowli.jpg
    Bronco cowli.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Bronco cowlh.jpg
    Bronco cowlh.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Bronco cowlg.jpg
    Bronco cowlg.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 31

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
do you have a press if so the way I would attempt it is to mak a punch and die take a piece of 3/16 steel and burn a slot in it then Take another piece of steel and cut it smaller than the slot by 1/8" all around then press the punch on the sheet metal into the slot. may have to clamp the sheet metal down so it stays flat while pressing. do small pieces and weld together instead of trying to hold one big piece. more metal to cut out of your washing machine. you will need to polish and radious the punch and die. Got any of the ribbed sheet metal left over or cut out from the floor boards?

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Hey Rusty, yes, it's a small press, but seems pretty strong. I'll look and see what I have left over. I did take a haul of old metal to the steel dump a few weeks ago, but it all was horrible. Are you thinking I could cut out the old raises and weld them on? that is If I have anything;)

do you have a press if so the way I would attempt it is to mak a punch and die take a piece of 3/16 steel and burn a slot in it then Take another piece of steel and cut it smaller than the slot by 1/8" all around then press the punch on the sheet metal into the slot. may have to clamp the sheet metal down so it stays flat while pressing. do small pieces and weld together instead of trying to hold one big piece. more metal to cut out of your washing machine. you will need to polish and radious the punch and die. Got any of the ribbed sheet metal left over or cut out from the floor boards?

Attachments

• 68 jeep frame fix9c.jpg
    68 jeep frame fix9c.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 19

71 CA Bronco

Oh my. You are not screwing around. You about got that built in the time I had to read the updates to your build thread. And I disagree with you I think your bronco will be every bit as nice as my build and many others on here. Everyone has a different take on how to go about it. That's what's great about these old Broncos we can tweak them to our tastes. Nothing is sacred. :) I also had a bunch of help from others on this board.

Those raised ridges are from a bead roller. I had mine done by a local hot rod shop for $20. You might find someone local that can do that for you. You should also think about how to seal that hatch down. You won't want water getting in under the dash. The few I have seen have a rubber gasket and the hatch bolts down tight. Maybe someone can post a picture for you? You will not regret raising the cowl when you are buttoning up your AC hoses. Keep it up. Love to follow your progress.

I just read Rusty's post. I would love to see how that is done. Might be a good trick to know.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
You are too kind;) Thank you! There are a lot of car places around our area~ I'll check soon. oh, I have some camper top seal stuff that I think will seal ok, otherwise I guess I could use some dumdum AC stuff. I'll for sure seal it with something;)
dne'

Oh my. You are not screwing around. You about got that built in the time I had to read the updates to your build thread. And I disagree with you I think your bronco will be every bit as nice as my build and many others on here. Everyone has a different take on how to go about it. That's what's great about these old Broncos we can tweak them to our tastes. Nothing is sacred. :) I also had a bunch of help from others on this board.

Those raised ridges are from a bead roller. I had mine done by a local hot rod shop for $20. You might find someone local that can do that for you. You should also think about how to seal that hatch down. You won't want water getting in under the dash. The few I have seen have a rubber gasket and the hatch bolts down tight. Maybe someone can post a picture for you? You will not regret raising the cowl when you are buttoning up your AC hoses. Keep it up. Love to follow your progress.

I just read Rusty's post. I would love to see how that is done. Might be a good trick to know.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Hey Rusty, yes, it's a small press, but seems pretty strong. I'll look and see what I have left over. I did take a haul of old metal to the steel dump a few weeks ago, but it all was horrible. Are you thinking I could cut out the old raises and weld them on? that is If I have anything;)
Yep like fitzy would say cut and butt. you do what you do with what you got.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Hopefully you can get a shop with a bead roller to do the job. Another option is you can route out the profile in a piece of wood and grind the matching profile on a air hammer bit. This is something that you want to do in stages.

You may have a good understanding of how metal stretches and shrinks already, this is something you will need to pay attention to.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Today went by so quickly! :( I did use a piece of wood and made a little canal, then just followed my line using a hammer and and piece of metal's edge. Amazingly, it did give some stiffness to the panel, but it's not like it's a large panel. Hard to explain. I'll spend more time on it, but don't think anyone will notice unless they just stare at it. I'm waiting on some weld nuts, I had 10 but wasn't enough, then also some 1/4" allen button head bolts/screws x 1/2" long and a few 5/8 length just in case. As for the diagonal seam, it's double flanged and somewhat flush. I may either weld it continuously as right now I spot welded it from the inside.

Then, on the drivers side, I didn't know that the original vent went down inside the cab and actually has a vent door. I don't know if I want that since I'll be having AC/heat. Back in high school my 66 plymouth Valiant had a little door by the left leg and it worked great since not having AC back then. I was happy to have a car at all! If I do away with vents, and make a block off plate for the driver. what do I do about the two vents in the actual hood? I don't rain or wash water to go down into the engine compartment. My hood is fiberglass, I thought maybe I could make a small panel and epoxy them to the underside of the hood and block them both off.

I posted a picture of a '66 Plymouth Valiant(not mine) as I cherished that darned car from 10th - my senior year;)

Attachments

• Bronco cowlm.jpg
    Bronco cowlm.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Bronco cowlj.jpg
    Bronco cowlj.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 66-plymouth-valiant-225-slant-6-3-on-the-tree-1.jpg
    66-plymouth-valiant-225-slant-6-3-on-the-tree-1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Hi, no, it was on the column. My next to oldest brother would show me how he could spin the tires by backing up really fast, then drop it into drive! That's before I got the car~ I knew that wasn't a good thing to do. However, the transmission never gave me any problems;) funny, I don't know what happened to the car. I inherited my grandmothers '63 Pontiac lemans hardtop with red interior, 326, rear transmission~ first thing the AC went out(I can do without that), then the transmission went out. Local transmission places didn't even know about the rear trans! lol The car sat out in the pasture until it got hauled off. That was one sharp car! sigh

Did your valiant have the push button automatic?

Keep up the good work!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Hi, no, it was on the column. My next to oldest brother would show me how he could spin the tires by backing up really fast, then drop it into drive! That's before I got the car~ I knew that wasn't a good thing to do. However, the transmission never gave me any problems;) funny, I don't know what happened to the car. I inherited my grandmothers '63 Pontiac lemans hardtop with red interior, 326, rear transmission~ first thing the AC went out(I can do without that), then the transmission went out. Local transmission places didn't even know about the rear trans! lol The car sat out in the pasture until it got hauled off. That was one sharp car! sigh
Or the flexible driveshaft they called a Rope Drive. Carol Shelby was involved in that design the goal was a flat floor that they accomplished. Lots of things about those that were really cool and only for a couple of years.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
I'll never forget how puzzled I was looking for the transmission dipstick~ I knew enough about cars to know where to locate the trans dipstick! But looking under the car there wasn't a driveshaft, just a funny box, and then to see the torque convertor spinning where the rear axle was supposed to be! Popped the truck lid and there was a little door to check the transmission fluid! haha Defintely had a flat floor which was kind of cool!

Or the flexible driveshaft they called a Rope Drive. Carol Shelby was involved in that design the goal was a flat floor that they accomplished. Lots of things about those that were really cool and only for a couple of years.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ok now your making the rest of us look bad. I had a friend with a 63 valiant it had the push button transmission selector in the dash. My first auto body class at the local college the first day the instructor took a sledge to the front fender of a valiant to show us how to fix it. I was horrified to see that fender on a nice car get smashed intentionally. he fixed it right in front of us even with all the compound curves. I was impressed. then he did the same thing the next week to a front fender of a Corvair. and he showed us how to section 2 fenders and weld them back together. very impressed with what he could do in an hour. so keep up the good work girl your amazing. Your shipping charges must be killing you.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
sorry I forgot for your vent on top of your panel put a stock vent gasket glued to the cowl on the passenger side run a dimple under the gasket so it drains out the fender side. of the cowl.