• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 Bronco parchment Wiper Motor Cover

harmsway

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Hello all,

I have a 73 Bronco with the wiper cover intact, but badly discolored. As I can't find an OEM in parchment, my goal is to paint the existing one. I have an airbrush, but am not sure which paint would be the best for bonding. I'm not completely sure what material it's even made out of, it's definitely fragile. I've read a little about some people who have had success painting car interior parts with SEM paints, but those won't be color matched. Does anyone have any suggestions which paint would work best for something like this?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
SEM Color Coat can be matched and mixed by a paint supplier. I had some mixed a few years ago. It may have been Napa that did it. Have them scan the inside of your cover to get the original shade. I had a can of SEM aerosol that was very close but I don’t remember the name of the color. The stuff holds up very well on hard plastic….put it on in light coats to preserve the grain texture of the surface.

Last edited:

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I did mine a few months ago. I just used a duplicolor bumper and trim spray paint from Autozone. For what it's worth, I started with a parchment-like color and ended up going back redoing it black. I used a matte finish.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Hello all,

I have a 73 Bronco with the wiper cover intact, but badly discolored. As I can't find an OEM in parchment, my goal is to paint the existing one. I have an airbrush, but am not sure which paint would be the best for bonding. I'm not completely sure what material it's even made out of, it's definitely fragile. I've read a little about some people who have had success painting car interior parts with SEM paints, but those won't be color matched. Does anyone have any suggestions which paint would work best for something like this?
Following along on this thread. For I will be doing this in the future. Not trying to hi-jack the thread but has anyone painted the sun visors?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
your problem is getting it clean as you don't know whats been put on it. clean with TSP and rinse well then use Sem upholstery paint.

jray

I used some vinyl spray paint from LMC Trucks in Parchment color. That was 11 or 12 years ago, still looks good.

chuckyb

Contributor
I used the SEM light parchment vinyl color and the SEM soap and prep products. Looks great and is holding up well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Slightly off topic, but has anyone ever used one of the SEM products (maybe even the same one) for coloring a vinyl floor mat or similar rubberized/vinylized material?

Paul

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Slightly off topic, but has anyone ever used one of the SEM products (maybe even the same one) for coloring a vinyl floor mat or similar rubberized/vinylized material?

Paul
That be a great alternative to the high interest, much anticipated, somewhat promised, and never made Parchment Floor Mat! #denniscarpenter.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep. Literally why I asked. And here seemed a good spot since it sounds like several have experience with the proper types of paints.
I put off my purchase of carpet just recently because I had a wild thought to pick up one of the Sport mats while we had them in stock (if we still do at this typing!)

My thought was to just get the black ones, paint them parchment or similar color, then gently wipe them off so that some of the underlying black highlights pop back up.
I realize it's kind of backwards from original, since the black/gray/dark coloring was often the lower lying areas, and that the top was the parchment/tan/brown color. But hey, figured it might look cool anyway.

And hey, it's only money!

Paul