• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76/77 1 Ton TRO Conversion

turbotim2

I thought I'd do a write up on this conversion as it seems to get a lot of questions (many from myself). A little background: I am in the process of the world's slowest resto-mod (confirmed by Guinness). This was due to three main reasons, time, money and changing my mind (see 1 & 2). Early on when I rebuilt the axle I had decided that I wanted to go with a TRO conversion and thus installed a Kiser riser bracket on the D44 for the trac bar. The Kiser riser is excellent quality and fit perfectly. The Bronco has a 3.5" suspension lift too.
After much thought, research, question asking and general himming and hawing, I decided to go with Extreme Custom Fabrication's 1 ton conversion kit. It appears to be excellent quality, was shipped fast and was a good price. I cannot comment on the TRE's that came with the kit as there are no brand names stamped in them or anything to otherwise ID whose ends they are but they seem to be quality. The parts/tools I bought for this are:

http://extremecustomparts.com/i-361167-tie-rod-drag-link-dana-44-1976-1977-bronco-1-1-2-d-o-m.html

http://www.amazon.com/Yankee-Taper-...&qid=1450531208&sr=8-1&keywords=Yankee+reamer

The reamer is made in the USA and still looks new after the four required cuts for this conversion. It will likely sit in my toolbox until I need to replace the right TRE which requires reaming but I know I will have it.

Since the Bronco isn't done, I hadn't installed the pitman yet so I started by reaming that first. This is the only cut that was in the same direction of taper as the original taper. I put the pitman arm in the vise, used plenty of cutting oil, went slow with the reamer in my drill and stopped frequently to test fit the drag link end. You can see the before and after reaming of the pitman arm. Also, the pitman arm took the longest to ream.

Attachments

• 20151213_103218.jpg
    20151213_103218.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 20151213_103137.jpg
    20151213_103137.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20151213_105205.jpg
    20151213_105205.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

navalbronco66

Where did you find the kiser track bar riser? Googled it a while back and couldn't find anything.

Bronc937

I laughed when you said you had the "slowest resto-mod in progress". I might have you beat or a close second.

I did the same conversion on my '77 except I reamed the stock knuckles for tie rod under because I didn't have a track bar riser. Two questions:

1. Should I have done TRO for any reason other than clearance? 2. Did you have wheel spacers when you used the steel wheels with 3.5 BS? Mine would not clear the tie rod ends (might be because I was trying to use the stock 15x6??). I have some F150 knuckles that I was going to swap to get clearance.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I did this same kit from ECF earlier this year. Very nice quality and super strong.:cool:

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Great write-up, looking to do the same to my 77 hopefully in the next few years.

bigjhoov

nobody
Nice write up.

You don't leave yourself a lot of adjustment running the TRE's all the way down though. I usually run them down, and then back out four turns each. That usually gives plenty of adjustment, but allows for plenty of thread engagement as well.

bigjhoov

nobody
I ran them all the way in as a starting point so that I knew they were even on each side. Your method is essentially the same as I had to turn the tierod bringing the TRE's out enough to get the front wheels aligned so there is plenty of room for adjustment now.

edit: I just looked back at my photos, those were taken before I had aligned the wheels so they are all the way in.

Roger that. Just making the clarification for those that may use your write up as a guide for doing their own conversion.

Piglet

Great Write up! thanks for the link to that reamer too! thats the best price i've seen for one yet, and its prime!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's consistent with what others have found. Hard to get rid of the rotation completely this way, but just making it better is a good thing no matter what.
Most people say they can feel at least a slight improvement, if not more.

Thanks for keeping it updated.

Paul