• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Bronco Power Steering Pump PROBLEM HELP!

Sourjack89

I had a new power steering pump installed today...

When job was done I started up the Bronco.

Belt spins perfectly fine, steering wheel was difficult to
turn, pump seemed to be making whining and grinding sounds briefly.
Wheel seemed to move somewhat easily for a short period.

Now I have no sounds from pump and wheel feels exactly same as it
Did with no belt on at all...

Do I need to bleed the system? Is my steering box be culprit?

Never ran into this kind of mess HELP!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yes sounds like you have air in the system, jack up the front end turn lock to lock add fluid be careful and not over fill it once you shut the engine off.. some are a real pain to get all the air out. if you get no more foam in it the air should be all out of it. I know others probably can explain it better lol

OP
OP
S

Sourjack89

Ay caramba! Ok I will see what I can do - I think this bum mobile mechanic overfilled it a hair too. What will overfilling it do?

I hope i didn’t burn up 250 bucks on this whole situation.

Any secrets to bleeding it? I can jack front end up I guess need a good floor jack. This wheel is super tough to turn it feels exactly like it did when my other pump was seized. Weird thing is it felt half decent for a second or two that must be air related...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
overfilling it will just make a mess, just keep turning it lock to lock the air will work it's self out.

OP
OP
S

Sourjack89

Basically it feels like a non power steering bronco...could air create that severe of a symptom?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The steering box could be full of debris from the old pump coming apart internally. It’s always good practice to run a filter in-line on the return hose.

Mark

OP
OP
S

Sourjack89

Can I clean the steering box out? I’m just getting worried that I’m a little stuck. I don’t know why it’s not working...40,000 original miles. None of this makes sense!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Did you check the fluid level with the engine running like your supposed too?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If the box still had fluid in it and wasn't pumped dry before the swap, the system won't take the entire quart and a half. Use the pump dipstick and check the level at operating temp before trying to put the full quart and a half in. If you see bubbles or foam on the dipstick or in the reservoir, you need to keep bleeding.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Driving it and doing a lot of turns will do it too. Thought mine was bled on the garage until I started driving it.

OP
OP
S

Sourjack89

The verdict is in...its AIR...I feel stupid now!

BUT it’s not going easily. I need to find an easy way to get the air out as I have no jack capabilities in this driveway. So driving it and making lots of turns will do it?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Driving it and doing a lot of turns will do it too. Thought mine was bled on the garage until I started driving it.

Remember though, this is a Bronco. Not everything goes to plan, and nothing is as easy as it is on other vehicles.

The verdict is in...its AIR...I feel stupid now!
BUT it’s not going easily. I need to find an easy way to get the air out as I have no jack capabilities in this driveway. So driving it and making lots of turns will do it?

Not stupid at all. Happens LITERALLY ALL THE TIME WITH BRONCOS and that's not an exaggeration. As long as there have been Bronco forums, there have been the stories of having to turn the wheel a hundred times or more to get the air out. And until that point, most owners had never heard of a vehicle that took more than maybe five or ten turns of the wheel to bleed it all out.
In fact, plenty of pro mechanics unfortunately (as we've found out) don't know what the process is either. Likely because the vehicles they worked on previously followed the book method better and only took a few turns.

But yes, it does help ease the pain (both yours and the system's) to releive some of the weight off the tires. They do not have to be in the air, but it really does help to get much of the load off of them so the steering can be put through it's range more easily.

If you can beg, borrow, or steal a jack (any jack almost) and put it under the axle tube, that will help.
If you can get two scissors jacks from friend's Corollas and Accords, you can put some upward English on the axle and that would do it.

But then you're still into it for the duration. Maybe you've shortened the time needed already from driving it around (or trying to) and running the engine, but likely it will still take 50 back-and-forths to start things feeling like you have a power assist again.

Obviously check the fluid level as this progresses to make sure that it's not getting too low. This could introduce more air and you'd have to start all over again.

But it will eventually work itself out unless you have an air leak in one of the lines or ports.
But the good news is, as has already been said, that short of too much old debris in the system, you more than likely have not hurt the pump or gearbox.
"Mostly..." (for anyone that's watched Aliens more than once);)

Good luck!

Paul

fishinman78

Contributor
Could'nt he just disconnect the drag link at the pitman arm and cycle the wheel from lock to lock until all the air is out of the system? No jack would be necessary.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely. Good call.
Even though it's a pain to do when they have not been done recently, in this case it sounds like they should have, so might readily be removed with standard hand tools.

I did like the idea of seeing picture evidence of a Bronco being hoisted up on a Honda scissors jack though!;D

Paul

OP
OP
S

Sourjack89

This Bronco will NOT defeat me! It has been a pain since I took possession of it 3 weeks ago, stubborn is an understatement! I WILL get all that air out today. Will follow up with pics and a status update. Holy Toledo! And I have 5 Broncos - what am I thinking ��