• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'77 Silicone heater hoses

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I need 2 long silicone hoses with 90 degree bends at one end for an OE '77 heater hose set up. The EB vendors only have heater hose kits that are for the earlier models. These kits have 1 long hose that I need 2 of. The other 2 hoses include one short one and another with 2 bends to place the temperature control valve behind the carb. The '77s have the valve just ahead of the air cleaner support, using a longer cable to control the valve. So I need 2 of the long hoses with the 90 degree bend at the heater core. No one at the vendors is familiar with the '77 configuration. Neither are those who make the heater hose kits, and the vendors are unwilling to sell individual parts from the same "kits" that could correct the problem. My local parts store has the hoses in rubber but not silicone. Oddly the '77 truck shop manual is also incorrect in their diagrams for '77s.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
ARE they 5/8 or 3/4 .. or one of each .
But you want the Blue Silicone hose correct . Normally comes in a stalk about 40 inches long & a 90* angle on one end .
I'll try & ask my Guys at my work tomorrow .
If that not what your looking for . Let me know & I'll step aside.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I have a 77 and its cable wasnt that long. Maybe you have the wrong cable.

A couple of times I've seen people use their choke cable for the heat control valve or just a generic cable from the U -Help rack .

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Im pretty sure mine is the correct length. My 76 is the same and so is my buddies 74, 76, and other 74. Plus he has a 77 body with that cable still sticking through and it is same length

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The vast majority of '77 original Temp Control cables have been replaced by the earlier design. The employees who answer the phone at every vendor I spoke to, amazingly cited their own catalog as proof that all EBs were the same. I had to work to get them to admit they never saw a new '77, let alone owned one. In fact they had to admit they weren't born in '77. I have the original cable and will use it. Today I bought rubber hoses. That's all there is. The absurd idea that the so called parts kits the vendors push can't be broken up in any way is a result of laziness. Often you can't get individual parts from the same vendor who includes them in the kits. They don't consider customers who only need certain parts, not everything included in the so called kits. They also demonstrate disregard for the concept of an accurate restoration.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Today I bought rubber hoses. That's all there is. The absurd idea that the so called parts kits the vendors push can't be broken up in any way is a result of laziness. Often you can't get individual parts from the same vendor who includes them in the kits. They don't consider customers who only need certain parts, not everything included in the so called kits. They also demonstrate disregard for the concept of an accurate restoration.

I understand your frustration (and share it with you on certain items) but it's not laziness on the Bronco vendors' part that you can't buy the individual pieces - I'd be willing to bet they can't buy the pieces individually themselves. It's like being a jigsaw puzzle vendor and someone calling to ask if you'll sell them just 3 pieces of the 1000 piece puzzle they sell so you can complete yours. Perhaps a crazy analogy, but you get my point. And if you're doing an accurate restoration, why are you using silicone hoses? :)

Todd Z.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
tryhttps://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=3COOLHOSETYPE for you 90 degree, cut to fit.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
tryhttps://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=3COOLHOSETYPE for you 90 degree, cut to fit.

I'm guessing he's needing longer pieces than the sections sold by hose vendors. It's tough, if not impossible to find a hose say, 12" long with a 90 deg. end on it.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My idea of building a near original looking EB is just that, my concept. The elitist rule book for a concourse restoration is of no interest to me. Some of these arrogant rule makers are too anal to concern myself with. I had one declare a muscle car I built to be inauthentic because it didn't have all the emission equipment. I'm building my EB to look like it did when new with improvements I would have made at that time. I tossed the air pump, cats, EGR, and crappy tuning as soon as the warranty expired. The elitist, anal snobs can pound sand while enjoy an EB that IS what Ford could have built at that time, if they wanted to, and the government hadn't screwed things up.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Pegasus only has elbows with 2 short legs. I need hoses with 1 short and 1 long (3' to 4') leg. The EB vendor's kits have only 1 of these requiring me to buy 2 kits to get the hoses I need. That's 100 bucks when 2 rubber hoses are more like 35. They're easy to check on and generally last at least 10 yrs. It's the lower radiator hose, that is mostly out of sight and can fail with catastrophic engine damage. I'm comfortable with rubber heater hoses and silicone radiator hoses. It's disappointing that the vendors don't consider or even know the unique '77 parts. I believe the '77s are more historically significant than the '66s, but the vendors make far more effort to help '66 owners with correct parts. They don't even demonstrate much interest in learning how the '77s were built.