• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 with Matching VIN, failed inspection, can't find vin on frame???

rwiebe13

Loc.
Kansas City
Door post, glove box and frame all match. However the highway patrol inspector could not locate the vin on the frame due to the restoration. I did not have the work done myself but I do have all of the records. It does match, however, the paint is so thick or high quality we can't locate the vin stamp. I have a 77, FYI.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
welcome and congratulations. I want a 77 myself, but it's got to be orange;)

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
on top of frame - passenger side near starter if you're asking for location. if painted over use some sandpaper because it's stamped in.

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
It will be almost straight down from the passenger side firewall on top of the frame.. you will half to remove the paint from there and maybe use some chalk to fill in the impression of the stamped vin.. On my 76 the stamp must have been off a little because only the top half of every number could be seen so they made a new tag and put it on the door post. On both I had to spend about an hour with paint remover, sand paper and cleaner.. good luck.

I just noticed you are in kansas city.. I am in olathe. if you want you bring the bronco down for visit or I could pay ya a visit and try to find the vin..

OP
OP
rwiebe13

rwiebe13

Loc.
Kansas City
It will be almost straight down from the passenger side firewall on top of the frame.. you will half to remove the paint from there and maybe use some chalk to fill in the impression of the stamped vin.. On my 76 the stamp must have been off a little because only the top half of every number could be seen so they made a new tag and put it on the door post. On both I had to spend about an hour with paint remover, sand paper and cleaner.. good luck.

I just noticed you are in kansas city.. I am in olathe. if you want you bring the bronco down for visit or I could pay ya a visit and try to find the vin..

That would be great! I'm at 163rd and Switzerland area. We were looking at the frame just at the bend of the frame leading in to the axle. I will PM you my contact info!

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
welcome and congratulations. I want a 77 myself, but it's got to be orange;)

sorry I was not being a smart alec, I did not recognize it as a question:eek: Glad you found the VIN number.

This brings up another thing: people sell glove box doors and titles here, and others buy them. We all know that they are going on another body and frame somewhere. And I always rant against it. Your thread proves that law enforcement is capable of being thorough enough to match frame, body, and glove box numbers.
If your frame numbers had been located and did not match, your bronco likely would have been impounded.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Mississippi is always last,but I suspect they'll get around to that sooner or later and I for one think they should because early Broncos are toooo easy to steal and tooo easy to retitle here!! Like I've said on here b-4 they use to steal them off the carlots around here in the 70's and and chop up repop up and new truck with a old title!!