• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

78 bronco np 435 ???

mcsparks

Loc.
chicago
i have chance to get a 78 bronco with a 400 blk np 435 np205. does the bell housing match up to the stang 5.0? and is the np205 a divorced case in that year? and whats the diffrence between divorce n not? i would like to get it for a donor for my 71. if it is all stock it should i get it cause i know i can use other stuff of of it but what besides the axles, tranny steering colum?

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Thats what my 435 and 205 are out of. The divorced style will not be bolted together, but there will be a mini drive-line between them. The 435 should bolt right up to your bellhousing.

68broncohalfcab

Loc.
clarksville,
The 351M and 400 use the same bell housing as the 429 and 460 engines. The289, 302 (5.0) and 351 windsor and clevland engines use the same bell housing, but not the same as the 400. the 78 bronco did not have a divorced tcase. divorced means the tcase is not bolted to the back of the transmission but has a short shaft linking them together. I think Ford last used them on the early 76 model pickups. and never on the Broncos.

reevejosh

Loc.
Hermiston
that tranny will have the wrong output shaft, dont forget to use the power steering box for a 4x4x2 conversion;D

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Wrong bolt pattern on the bell housing, dana 20 transfer case won't bolt up to that np 435 without changing output shaft. If you want to change the output shaft and get another bellhousing, you can use it.

OP
OP
M

mcsparks

Loc.
chicago
thanks for the info. would i be able to use my bell housing off of my 3 spd out of my 71 or what which one would i need? i know i can use my clutch linkage. is there a hydrolic clutch i cn use? and do i need to fab a cross member or will stk work?

OP
OP
M

mcsparks

Loc.
chicago
thanks for the info. would i be able to use my bell housing off of my 3 spd out of my 71 or what which one would i need? i know i can use my clutch linkage. is there a hydrolic clutch i cn use? and do i need to fab a cross member or will stk work?

i forgot about the fly wheel could i use the stk bronco one on a 90 5.0?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
i forgot about the fly wheel could i use the stk bronco one on a 90 5.0?

No, 5.0 has the wrong balance wheel compared to the stock bronco.
The stock 3 speed clutch and bell housing from a bronco will bolt up to the 435. The 205 can be used in the EB. If you want to run the 20 change the output shaft and get the adapter.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
You can install the '78 NP435/205 combo as a unit, but that is the long output shaft style trans, so as described earlier you'll need to get into the trans and change the output if you want to run your D20.

The 435/205 combo as it sits is about 3" longer (give or take a bit) than the stock 3 speed/D20, and it also uses different U-joints, and a different cross member. So if you use it as it sits, you'll have some driveline modifications and a home made cross member to deal with as well. (FWIW, that's the route I chose to take because I wanted the strength of the 205).

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the 78 I pulled mine out of had a 351w in it....

Not unless someone went to an awfull lot of trouble to swap one in there it didn't. All 78/79 Broncs were factory 351m or 400 engines...with the '460' bell housing pattern on the engine side.

That said..there have been a few 351w swaps done here and there over the years in to the 78/79 rigs.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Not unless someone went to an awfull lot of trouble to swap one in there it didn't. All 78/79 Broncs were factory 351m or 400 engines...with the '460' bell housing pattern on the engine side.

That said..there have been a few 351w swaps done here and there over the years in to the 78/79 rigs.

Can't vouch for it, that's just what the guy that sold me the 435/205 combo told me. Never put any thought into it as the bellhousing from my bronco bolted right up, and I know nothing of the 78/79 broncos.