• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

86 T-bird...good EFI swap?

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
found a 86 tbird 5.0 in the junkyard today. I can get everything I need for the EFI for $40. Its this a good car to get the EFI from for a 302 swap?

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
Should work fine, most likely speed density instead of MAF but not a big issue.

A&Mbronco

Loc.
Houston,TX
i'd get everything but the computer and then just convert the harness to mass air and get an A9L or A9P.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Cavalry said:
found a 86 tbird 5.0 in the junkyard today. I can get everything I need for the EFI for $40. Its this a good car to get the EFI from for a 302 swap?

I agree with what the others have written. Convert to Mass air, dump the stock computer, and I think it has only 14 lbs injectors (white body). If so convert to 19 lbs (tan body).

Doug

OP
OP
Cavalry

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
ok please educate me here. whats the big deal whith converting to mass air/ different ecm's etc? Will it make that much of a preformance difference?

A&Mbronco

Loc.
Houston,TX
Speed density runs off of pre-programed codes while mass air take reading and adapts fuel ratio and such based on the readings. Mass air is better becasue if you modify your engine the computer can compensate for your mods, speed density doesnt take well to modifications.

check out http://www.fordfuelinjection.com for a ton of info on what is needed for conversions

OP
OP
Cavalry

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
A&Mbronco said:
Speed density runs off of pre-programed codes while mass air take reading and adapts fuel ratio and such based on the readings. Mass air is better becasue if you modify your engine the computer can compensate for your mods, speed density doesnt take well to modifications.

check out http://www.fordfuelinjection.com for a ton of info on what is needed for conversions

yeah I was on there all last night reading...lol

I dont plan on modding this engine at all. just want some better behavior for cheap. So If I keep everything pretty much stockish I wouldnt have to change anything? This engine is stock 302 other than headers.

OP
OP
Cavalry

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I was looking on ebay for parts...by the time I converted to mass air I could have bought another setup! 19lb injectors and ecm's each are more than I am paying for the entire setup.

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
just curious. would going to speed density even work on a stock bronco motor considering the cams and compression ratio are different than what the speed density motor was?

A&Mbronco

Loc.
Houston,TX
I think Saddleup had speed density on his rig. Might try talking to him a little more about it. IMO mass air is the only way to go if your looking at fuel injection. More power plus you never know when you might decided to modify your engine.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Cavalry said:
I was looking on ebay for parts...by the time I converted to mass air I could have bought another setup! 19lb injectors and ecm's each are more than I am paying for the entire setup.

Buy the motor, install it, and run it. Start collecting the parts to make a conversion as time, money, and opportunity for a killer deal come about. My 86 mustang ran well with the speed density set up, it was just that you are limited by how many "improvements" you could put on the motor.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Sorry but a 86-88 Stang 5.0 was the fastest STOCK set-up out there. All your big time racers use Speed Density. Mass air just is more adaptable for the average Joe.

If you have a stock engine and don't plan on changing the cam, then yes that $40 set up will suit you fine and will be a direct bolt on since it wasn't HO.

As for ever body looking for HP, how many of you really run your engine to 6500 rpms? A stock set-up will do more than 3/4 of us will ever use on a trail.