• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 efi, 91-93 T-bird MAF same as 89-93 Mustang?

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
I also looked at a 90 Mustang GT to see how many were shown...it shows 3 also.

Nobody pulls thru again.....so that interchange info must mean that a SC Thunderchicken has the same 70mm MAF as a Cobra?? If so, that is good news as I'm planning to install an X3Z Cobra ECU, 24lb'rs, and a Cobra 70mm MAF on my 351. I hadn't yet found a Cobra MAF and probably wouldn't find one where I'm looking.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I also looked at a 90 Mustang GT to see how many were shown...it shows 3 also.

Nobody pulls thru again.....so that interchange info must mean that a SC Thunderchicken has the same 70mm MAF as a Cobra?? If so, that is good news as I'm planning to install an X3Z Cobra ECU, 24lb'rs, and a Cobra 70mm MAF on my 351. I hadn't yet found a Cobra MAF and probably wouldn't find one where I'm looking.

That is how I read it as well.

My understanding (which is sitting on fairly shaky ground right now) was that there were a bunch of different MAFs. From the looks of it there are a lot fewer MAF part numbers used across many more applications then I originally thought there to be.

But the MAF still has to match the computer. Somewhere I have a 3.8 SC MAF curve vs. a Mustang curve. I think it is out of my '94 Ford emissions service book. The lines are not a simple offset. They have very different shapes.

mr.n

so that interchange info must mean that a SC Thunderchicken has the same 70mm MAF as a Cobra??
That is not how I read it...

I'd guess the Thunderchicken has something like a 40mm MAF and the opening for the sensor is the same percentage smaller from the Cobra. Its all about the ratio of air.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
The supercharged T-bird and Cobra should be exactly the same. Again, look it up at napaonline. Both apps should call for the same part number. Heck, call the ford dealer and get the part numbers. They should match.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is not how I read it...

I'd guess the Thunderchicken has something like a 40mm MAF and the opening for the sensor is the same percentage smaller from the Cobra. Its all about the ratio of air.

We are quoting part numbers and research for reference material.
Where are you getting your information, besides a "guess"?

mr.n

We are quoting part numbers and research for reference material.
Where are you getting your information, besides a "guess"?

The sensor is the same, I agree to that. However the housing it attaches to is not.

Yes it's a guess, from 15+ years of junkyard hunting.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
I think what Mr.N was trying to say/ask is the parts may be different, but output the same data and therefore be interchangable.

From my experience, this is NOT the case. When a part is listed as "interchangable", it should look and function exactly the same...unless othewise noted. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes there are notes such as "cut off additional mounting tab" or something like that.

Which brings me to the point with these MAF's. I think the interchange is more dependant on the physical features of the MAF over the actual function. I'd put money on the interchange list being vastly larger if splicing on the correct plug was an option.

Like on my 97 V8 Exploder. Some had a square filter box, some had round. They are not interchangeable, but clearly we gearheads can interchange them if we wanted. The both perform the same function...clean the air.

Last edited:

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
When I go to the junk yard I get the cleanest one that has the same middle part of the number.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
It's getting hard to find good reliable 89-93 MAF sensors. There are no "new" sensors available, just referbs. Last I checked over 35% were DOA junk at the referb factory. This is why I started selling MAF's on my site:
http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=27
They mount right were any 89-93 MAF would, have the stock air flow curve, and the best part is....
They use brand new Hitachi MAF elements, the same technology Ford used from 1996-2004!

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks for putting in 2 cents Ryan.....mind weighing in on these few questions?

Are MAF's a "works or no work part?" Or do they age and wear say how O2 sensors do?

I ran across an 88 MAF Mustang that had an 8LG ECU. I can't find any info on this ECU, but it definitely is 8LG.

Do that many vehicles interchange MAF's as posted in the thread? T-chicken 5.0 MAF same as Mustang 5.0? Both 55mm? Cobra MAF same as T-chicken SC? Both 70mm?

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
Are MAF's a "works or no work part?" Or do they age and wear say how O2 sensors do?
The working part of a MAF is basically 2 light bulb elements. They heat up and measure the amps required to maintain a certain temp in relation to the air flow over them. Dirt and junk can clog the elements, and they do wear out just like a light bulb
I ran across an 88 MAF Mustang that had an 8LG ECU. I can't find any info on this ECU, but it definitely is 8LG.
If it has SFI-MA12A it is related to the A9L and should work.
Any more info on that 8LG computer?
Do that many vehicles interchange MAF's as posted in the thread? T-chicken 5.0 MAF same as Mustang 5.0? Both 55mm? Cobra MAF same as T-chicken SC? Both 70mm?
Yes, Ford didn't make a new MAF for every vehicle. It's cheaper to pick one off the shelf. However those part numbers typically only relate to the sensor, not the housing. So make sure you the correct housing when swapping parts like that.

maverickconner

For what it is worth, I put a XR-7 cougar 5.0HO from a 92 in my 72 Bronco, worked great, the water pump is actually a little thinner than the mustangs also to give you a little extra room. The only real difference was the computer series, but not sure why besides enmities on the car...

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Is there any way for a lay person to check functionality of a MAF? Would be great if so, given the 35% DOA rate.

I've seen some 89-93 Mustang ECU's that dont have the exact "SFI-MA12A." They are missing one of the "A's." I think they were SFI-MA12 if I remember correctly. I have no other info on the 8LG, and I can't find any info about it on the net. I think it was one that said SFI-MA12 too. I'd like to find more info on it, but apparently, no one has run into it and posted any info on it. I could go back and see if it's still there. Are you interested in it?

Is the part # middle series the important info? If so, would any MAF with the same middle series "12B579" read & report the same info back to the EEC? If so, this opens up a huge supply of replacement MAF electronics, or is each one "tuned" to the particular EEC and vehicle? I understand what you are saying about ensuring you get the correct housing. I'll have to measure the housings to see if they are 55mm, or 70mm(on the T-chicken SC).

The working part of a MAF is basically 2 light bulb elements. They heat up and measure the amps required to maintain a certain temp in relation to the air flow over them. Dirt and junk can clog the elements, and they do wear out just like a light bulb

If it has SFI-MA12A it is related to the A9L and should work.
Any more info on that 8LG computer?

Yes, Ford didn't make a new MAF for every vehicle. It's cheaper to pick one off the shelf. However those part numbers typically only relate to the sensor, not the housing. So make sure you the correct housing when swapping parts like that.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Check out this link.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/CleanMAF.html

I had assumed incorrectly that the part numbers we were discussing included the housing. It doesn't appear that's the case. Looks like Mr.N was right. Now we need to figure out if there is any interchange info on the housing.

edit: actually I'm not so sure those Part numbers don't include the housing. Napa shows a pic of the whole assembly.