• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

88 f250 donor vehicle (motor for sure)

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I got a line on an 88 f250 truck for sale yesterday. I am getting the truck no matter what because the price is crazy low. Odometer says 98000, not sure if it is rolled over once or not. I was curious about the engine, it is a 5.0, I can't see the numbers because of the mud and weeds it is currently resting in. Anyone have any thoughts good or bad on this year of 5.0. I believe it has a 5 speed tranny also, not sure which one yet.
As always , Thanks in advance!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The most likely 5 speed in an '88 F250 is the ZF5, but there were a few F250's with the M5OD and they usually had the 5.0L
An '88 ZF5 would be an S5-42 rated (conservatively by ZF) at 420 ft/lbs.

Need a pic of the transmission housing to tell, the shifters and shifter boots either were the same or were made to look the same.

An '88 5.0.L will be a 50 ounce imbalance harmonic damper and flywheel.
The block will be a roller cam block.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 5.0 is a 185hp 280lbs tq speed density motor. Probably solid lifter with a roller block
You would have to change the intake to use in a bronco.
Not bad if you just want a stock motor 198k it might be a little tired

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I will be tearing the motor down for a rebuild for sure. I am also not interested in the fuel injection either. I was looking for a motor and found a truck cheaper than I have found just a motor.
Thanks for the info guys! I will know more when I get it home in a few weeks.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

All EFIs have hydraulic lifters, and AFAIK, roller blocks didn't start until ~'94.

This truck was built from an '88 F150 5.0L:

Since it only has a 5-digit odo, you wouldn't know from that if it rolled over once or 4x.

Last edited:

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Steve your right not a solid lifter I meant non roller flat tappet lifters, man they haven't had solid lifters in forever.
That's great when deals come along like that. Can you fix the truck up and flip it

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Langster I have a 5.0 sitting in my garage. It's all apart but very buildable. There's a good machine shop here in Farm town also. If your interested I'll make you a smoking deal.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Maybe, I haven't got it home to mess with it yet. All I was told is it was running and parked then it wouldn't start again. Been sitting ever since then, not sure how long. I will know more when I get it home.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
You know how stories go too. It could be a blown motor for all I know, but the price is right so I am gonna give it a shot.