• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

89 Mustang 302EFI swap......I need help from someone who has done this! 05/21

digmy76

What do I need to do this swap. I have found a nice 89 5.0L EFI engine, all wiring is included, but no computer, no alt., and no power steering pump. What will I need to have this put in right. Is this a serpentine pulley system? What possible problems will I encounter? Oh yeah, will this bolt up to my stock C4? Thanks for the help. ;D

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Re:89 Mustang 302EFI swap......what do I need?

I'm aboot to do the same sort of swap, from what I gather it's not too difficult... You will definitely need to get a computer for your setup, you will need to find a solution for your lower radiator hose (either get/fabricate a hose or have your radiator modified), you will also need to re-plumb your fuel system with all high-pressure hoses and fittings as well as get a couple of new fuel pumps, plus make provisions for a fuel return line. You will also need to get some bungs welded into your headers/manifold to accomidate the O2 sensors. Your C-4 will bolt up, but you will need to get a new flexplate that matches the balance of the engine. I had an 89 Stang GT and I think it was a serpentine setup. Check out the "Over 500 Bronco Links!" section on the left, there are some pretty lengthy write-up with more information about the swap than I could ever remember...

OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

I have some questions that aren't covered on these links. ??? Can someone who has EFI or done this swap get in touch with me....I may even need to call someone if they are willing to talk over the phone about this. It all seems very overwhelming (even though I am going to get a shop to do it for me). I really just want to make sure I get all the components I need for the donor engine, and the parts I can't get with it I need to know where to get them. I am really just a bit apprehensive about this whole thing and just need some guidance. Sorry if I seem like I'm being a baby about the whole thing, but I am just trying to be sure about this endeavor! :-:'( Thanks!

SeanNollan

Well I'm on day two of "Life after 10 days of EFI Hell". I'm still not sold on whether mine is running ok. I haven't driven it for longer than 30 mins at a time. But feel free to email me(<---EFI ROOKIE) and I'll parot to you what other people told me ;D ;D ;D

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
If the engine is complete, it's serpentine, period. Here's a site with good pics of what a stock mustang 5.0 motor going into a bronco looks like: http://bronco.alloffroad.com/index.html

You can use your stock alternator on the mustang serpentine bracket. Or use the Mustang alternator, or upgrade to a 3G. The latter intimidates some, but it's a simple swap also.

For power steering, the stock Thompson (piece of crap) pump will fit the serpentine bracket, as will all the later Ford pumps as used on big Broncos and F150's after 1977. Also the so-called "Napa conversion pump" which is a modified Saginaw rebuilt by Cardone http://meb.bronco.com/techinfo/mods/mods.html The stock Mustang serpentine pulley will fit all those pumps. The serpentine bracket needs some minor clearancing for some of them, including the latter option. 30 seconds with an angle grinder.

You'll need a mass air computer. One of the following (these are for mass air Mustang 5.0's from 1988-1993):
A9L -- 88-93 Mustang manual tranny
includes A9L, A3M, A3M1, D3D1, S0Z
A9M -- 88-93 Mustang auto tranny
includes A9M, A9P, C3W, C3W1
A9S -- 88-93 CA Mustangs
includes A9S, 8LD
Some of those are pretty rare, most common are the A9l, A9P, A9M. Both manual and auto versions are fine, especially with a stock motor. Some prefer the manual tranny version because of its more aggressive timing programs, but for a Bronco it's basically irrelevant.

You'll need a correctly balanced flex plate for the torque converter you have. I can't help much there, I'm a manual tranny guy. If you still have your old one, it can be rebalanced to the 5.0 imbalance (50 oz-in). The 5.0 crankshaft flange is identical to the one on your 302. And your C-4 will bolt right up, same bolt pattern as well.

Remember that the basic engine bolts right in also, and uses the same motor mounts as your 302. So get that thing in there. I'm using a stock Bronco radiator and fan shroud with a 17" reverse rotation Flex A Lite fan on a 1" spacer. I wound up *very* carefully trimming the back side of the blades because I felt they got too close to the power steering pulley, but otherwise I have 1.5" of fan clearance and no cooling issues. For the upper hose, use the upper hose for a '68 GTO w/ 400 in. engine. Requires a minor trim at the radiator end, otherwise a perfect fit. For the lower hose, I made one of these: http://www.azbronco.org/tech03.htm. Fits great, uses the OEM lower Bronco hose, cut up.

I couldn't help but tweak mine a bit (mine is actually an Explorer motor so it has better heads) with a cam, headers and minor intake cleanup. The difference from the tired stock 302 was amazing. Someday, 4-oh-something stroker for me ;D

CRUSTYSCALEY

I am right in the middle of my swap. I sent the wiring harness to windsor-fox [http://www.windsor-fox.com] and they do a great job of labeling the wires and tell you where to make connections to your original harness. Some sensors that you will need are The BAP (Barometric altitude pressure) sensor and the EVR (EGR vacuum regulator) sensor, the mass air and oxygen sensors as some one else already mentioned. If you are running the smog there are a few more, Windsor-Fox was very helpful in helping me figure this out they even sell a pulley if you eliminating the smog. I used a reverse rotation water pump that has the intake port on the same side as the original from B.C. Broncos so I didn't have to change the ports on my radiator, although I did end up having to make three spacers to put between the pump and the brackets of the mustang motor. I used a 95 explorer radiator hose for the top and the original bronco hose for the lower, B.C. Broncos also has a power steering pump with an adapter that will mount to your stock PS bracket. If you have power steering and the gear box is on the inside of the frame you may have to deal with clearance issues on the power steering pulley, if so the PS pump from BC Broncos is offset so it will give you more clearance. I got my tank from wild horses and ran my own fuel lines. I almost forgot theres a fuel shut-off relay that you'll need, it's located in the trunk of the mustang and it shuts the fuel system down in the event of a collision....suppose to anyway :'(. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my truck and I am sure that as always theres more than one way to skin a cat, hope this helps if you want you can e-mail me or call crustyscaley@yahoo.com

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=digmy76 link=board=5;threadid=17688;start=0#msg135378 date=1053528727]
I have some questions that aren't covered on these links. ??? Can someone who has EFI or done this swap get in touch with me....I may even need to call someone if they are willing to talk over the phone about this. It all seems very overwhelming (even though I am going to get a shop to do it for me). I really just want to make sure I get all the components I need for the donor engine, and the parts I can't get with it I need to know where to get them. I am really just a bit apprehensive about this whole thing and just need some guidance. Sorry if I seem like I'm being a baby about the whole thing, but I am just trying to be sure about this endeavor! :-:'( Thanks!
[/quote]

What have they quoted you for the job?

OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

Thanks for all the help, it is great and I appreciate the time you all have taken to share this info with me. I have not got a price for the install yet, since I have not been able to find a shop willing to do the swap! The motor, computer, wiring harness and everything else, except alt., starter, ps pump, and fuel pump will cost $950 with a good warranty. But, like I said I can't find a shop to do the swap. I did have one place that said it would cost several thousand and then they decided that even that wasn't enough for them to try it (I wouldn't have let them touch it anyway!). So...... :'(

mtn_bronco

Loc.
Leadville, Colorado
I am sure we can all talk you through the process if you can spare a week or two of working on it at nights and have some tools.

IF you want to talk to me call me at work from 11 am till 11 pm 719 486 8297

Howard

OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

Thanks a lot for the offer Howard...But I have gone ahead with the rebuild w/o EFI. I definitely appreciate the offer and may take you up on it the next Bronco I buy! ;) Because...apparently you just can’t own one. It’s kinda like Pringles…