• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9" Aussie Locker?

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Anyone running one?

They only come in 31 spline (I'm running 31 spline axles now) and have access to an open 4.10 geared 28 spline complete 3rd member. The Aussie comes w/ all new 4 pinion gears unlike the other lunchbox lockers. Question: if replacing ALL the 28 spline guts in the carrier w/ the Aussie 31 spline stuff will my 31 spline axles fit in the carrier? This would be a damn nice/ easy/ cheap/ quick way to throw a re-gear AND locker into my 9"!

Fungus

Oatmeal

Anyone running one?

They only come in 31 spline (I'm running 31 spline axles now) and have access to an open 4.10 geared 28 spline complete 3rd member. The Aussie comes w/ all new 4 pinion gears unlike the other lunchbox lockers. Question: if replacing ALL the 28 spline guts in the carrier w/ the Aussie 31 spline stuff will my 31 spline axles fit in the carrier? This would be a damn nice/ easy/ cheap/ quick way to throw a re-gear AND locker into my 9"!

Fungus
Sorry just had to correct you....no pinion gears with any of the lunch box lockers. The Bronco open 28 spline case has a single cross pin as opposed to the 31 spline's double cross pin (2 pinion vs 4 pinion) so, it's not just a matter of swapping the guts. Besides, you'll want the extra strength of the additional cross pin (okay, more like three cross pins.....one long and two short half pins) What you are thinking of, is the Aussie comes with outer and inner dog clutches unlike the Lock-Rite which uses the original side gears as the outer dog clutch which, if they're worn, will cause harsh engagement. I had an early L.A. Locker (before they became Lock-Rite/Powertrax) and it was harsh (the side gear teeth were kinda worn). Also the parts themselves are pretty strong, it's the stock case thats the weak link.......mine split in two! I think the 31 spline case is a bit beefier and the Aussie a much better product than the Lock-Rite....getting ready to regear my buddy's '84 Bronco and putting in an Aussie. Just as an extra precaution use a Dremel or die grinder with some sanding rolls to smooth out any casting flash at the holes in the carrier (the ones where you can see the internals through) to reduce any stress risers......that's where mine broke at---------Hans

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
OK, that makes sense. I've got an open 31 spline carrier from my FW 9" I can use if it pensils out cost wise over just getting a good used Detroit. Would've been slick to just throw the Aussie into the 4.10 geared carrier and bolt it in.

Oatmeal

OK, that makes sense. I've got an open 31 spline carrier from my FW 9" I can use if it pensils out cost wise over just getting a good used Detroit. Would've been slick to just throw the Aussie into the 4.10 geared carrier and bolt it in.
Do you have or have access to a dial indicator? Meaure the backlash on the 4:10 diff, write it down, take the 4:10 ring gear and bolt it onto the 31 spline carrier adjust to match the recorded back lash and you're done (make note of the preload as well.....remove the pinion assembly and measure turning torque with an inch pound wrench, record and duplicate). I bought a decent dial indicator and stand at Harbor Freight for about $30!:)----------Hans

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Do you have or have access to a dial indicator? Meaure the backlash on the 4:10 diff, write it down, take the 4:10 ring gear and bolt it onto the 31 spline carrier adjust to match the recorded back lash and you're done (make note of the preload as well.....remove the pinion assembly and measure turning torque with an inch pound wrench, record and duplicate). I bought a decent dial indicator and stand at Harbor Freight for about $30!:)----------Hans

Yep! Got the same HF setup you've got!;D

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Gonna bring this back to the top for one last question:

I've got a 4.10 open, 28 spline 3rd member. Also have a 3.50 open, 31 spline 3rd member from my FW 9". If I take both carriers out of the 3rd members (recording backlash first), bolt the 4.10 ring gear to the 31 spline carrier w/ Aussie installed, drop it back in the 4.10 3rd member and set backlash to specs is there any reason I'd even need to touch the pinion in the 4.10 3rd member? Seems to me, I'd just set backlash to what it was before the carrier swap (or within specs if it was out) and be golden...

Comments?