• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9-inch pinion nut torque???

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Hello,
What is the pinion nut torque on my '68 rear end? I am replacing the seal and can't seem to find the proper torque spec, the guy at NAPA told me that I can pull it off to replace the seal. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Are you using a crush sleeve or shims on the pinion pre-load?? If you have shims, I use 205 foot pounds on the pinion nut. If you're unsure or using a crush sleeve, run the nut up very slowly until there is no up/down, in/out movement in the pinion. Continue to tighten, VERY SLOWLY, until you have 10-15 inch pounds (empty case would be 6-8) of drag on the pinion when turning it. Do not exceed 225 foot pounds on the pinion nut. I recommend NOT using an impact, some folks do.
I hope some of this rambling helps...

73 toy

Loc.
Leavenworth,wa
Make sure you replace the crush washer, and if you over tighten it, replace it and try again. If I can remember it's around 3-7 pounds rolling torque. I had to use a 5 foot cheater and tightened it just a little at a time, constantly rechecking the rolling torque.

73 toy

Loc.
Leavenworth,wa
It is the torque it takes to turn the pinion shaft (on the nut after you tighten it), The resistance it takes to turn it. It's hard to explain, I'm not sure of the numbers, but it's around 7 in/lbs, I hope that helps.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Mr Joe said:
What does this mean??
I believe he means in/lbs of torque to turn the pinion smoothly while the 3rd member is on a bench, or installed w/o axles or gear oil.
You need an in/lb torque wrench to set up gears properly. You need some other special tools too, but since you're only doing the pinion prelode, an in/lb wrench and a 200+ ft/lb wrench are what you need.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I was just confused by the "pounds".. I know it's set by inch pounds. I usually set mine at 13-15 inch ponds for new bearings and 6-8 for old bearings....for a 9" diff..