• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9 inch rebuild help in Atlanta

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
gasket blew, didnt realize lost all the oil in the rear diff on a trip,

about 1/2 mile from home I hear all kinds of squeaking and clanking,
managed to idle it back to my house in 4 Low first gear, anything above walking speed locked up the axle.

rear axle gears are toast, pinion gear especially.

need someone in Atlanta that can rebuild these, or someone who can talk mw thru it.

I know I need new gears, maybe bearings,
might want to install a limited slip or something, dont really want a locker since it sees alot of street miles.

or is it cheaper to just order a whole new one from Summit?

thanks

70_Steve

Old Guy
need someone in Atlanta that can rebuild these, or someone who can talk mw thru it.

I know I need new gears, maybe bearings,
might want to install a limited slip or something, dont really want a locker since it sees alot of street miles.

or is it cheaper to just order a whole new one from Summit?

thanks
If you're considering doing it yourself, you're in luck. The Ford 9" is about the easiest differential to set up. You do need some special tools. A dial indicator with a magnetic base, and an inch/lb torque wrench. Other than that, basic hand tools.

Here's a link to a write-up on how to set one up. Plus there are several YouTube videos. http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ford-9-inch-rebuild-gear-setup/

You also might want to call around to some differential service shops and find out how much they charge to put one together if you supply all the parts. Shouldn't be more than $200-250. That's with you walking in with the pumpkin and the parts.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
If you overheated it i would just but a whole new third member and save yourself the hassle. Just another option for you. Of course it can be cheaper if you by all the parts and do it yourself but can still add up and can take longer to do as you will need to check everything well. without knowing, the carrier and bearings can be shot as well as others. Do the third member, axles/bearings and seals and be done with it.