• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9-inch rebuild/re-gear kits?

OP
OP
Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Great post Pedestrian!
I am in the process of collecting parts for my 1972 bronco 28 spline. Changing from 4:10 to 4:56. It originally came with the 4.10's and 225's tires, changed the tires to 31 BFG AT'S. I have a 98 explorer drivetrain including the 4r70w. I already have the motive gears and will be buying the install kit for it. Is there one specific for the 28 spline? thanks in advance.

I'm not sure to be honest, hopefully someone on here knows? Let me know which install kit you end up with and how you like the kit/gears!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you still have the factory tag and are confident that it is original, there are decode sheets that will tell you what is inside. It is probably the 2.87" bearings, but the moment we way that is what you have is the moment we are wrong. If I were buying blind, I would get the kit for the 2.87" bearings but make sure there is provision to exchange for the bigger ones.

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
If you still have the factory tag and are confident that it is original, there are decode sheets that will tell you what is inside. It is probably the 2.87" bearings, but the moment we way that is what you have is the moment we are wrong. If I were buying blind, I would get the kit for the 2.87" bearings but make sure there is provision to exchange for the bigger ones.

my tag reads WEM-A 2004.11 9601AWEM-A

From this site:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford04.htm

this is what I have according to my rear end tag:
Bronco '66-'71 Ratio 4.11 Diameter of R&P 8 3/4 in Axle Shaft splines 28 2780 lb Axle

Last edited:

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Just some notes, a jig would help set up the rear differential. I ended up buying the Ford 9" assembly stand as well as a pinion depth tool. The stand was worth the price, the pinion depth tool (ratech) was a bit fiddly, but I had already put together a noisy rear end and I wanted this one to be quiet, so took no chances.